SGA Minutes from April 3, 2013

Student Government Association

Senate Agenda

3rd of April 2013 

“Never, never, never give in!”

-Winston Churchill

1. Call to Order – at 8:45 pm

2. Roll Call/Prayer

3. Approval of Minutes – Minutes passed.

4. Announcements

a. F/S Appreciation Days (April 8 & 9)

b. Sign-ups for Springfest (April 19)

c. USO lunch tomorrow – UC 176 12:05

5. Old Business

a. Matt M- USO Funding – Matt is requesting $500 from SGA, half to subsidize student tickets and half for the event itself. Julia made a motion to give the full $500 to ISO. Tyler seconded. Motion passed.

6. New Business

a. Jim Yoder- Carnival de Resistance – Jim came as part of QEP to give a brief overview of the event. He is looking for feedback of what student reaction will be and concerns QEP has. An environmental and social justice art festival is the best description of the event. It is being organized by four people. They are convening 20-25 artists to live in a spot for nine days. If EMU was to host they would be here September 14 or 15 for nine or ten days. The main area would be on the quad where they will have a tent for their big performances. There will be two big performances on both weekends they are here. Before and after they have a midway with games to educated around peacebuilding and sustainability. They will set up a temporary village where they will live and exercise simple living.  They do not want to use any of EMU’s energy but will use bicycle generators and such. They hope to engage with the host community (EMU) and other community organizations and such. Main concerns are the length of time and the time in the semester. Senators seem to be in support of such an event.

b. CAC Music list- choose 12

c. Erika- Park Cabin Funding – Erika came asking $400 to help with more supplies, furniture, and food/misc. Christine motioned to give the $400. Matt N. seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

d. Harrisonburg Immigration Rally-Carol Snell-Feikema – Obama put through a proposal and there is also a bipartisan proposal and in support, there is a huge rally to take place in D.C. However, there will also be a rally next week on Wednesday, April 10 at 6pm because the chair of judiciary committee in the House is Representative Goodlatte is a key person and is based here in Harrisonburg. We want to encourage him and let him know that his constituency is in support of comprehensive immigration reform. She would like SGA to endorse this rally. Erika said she will bring it up at the USO meeting as well as send out an all-campus email. We will also work to put out flyers and table tents in the cafeteria.

7. Open Floor

a. Elias announced that library people are coming next week to discuss hot drinks in the library.

b. Erika announced that the final club budget approval will take place next week.

8. Adjournment

a. Andrew made motion.

b. Tyler seconded.

c. Motion passed.