The charitable IRA rollover is back for 2011. You don’t have to pay taxes on your charitable IRA withdrawals!
In 2011, you can make a gift to EMU from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) tax-free, helping shape the education of future generations of peacebuilders, service workers, and leaders of meaningful change in the world.
And you could save from 20¢ to 40¢ on the dollar.
Rules for 2011 IRA rollovers
• You must be age 70½ or older to request a rollover from your IRA to EMU.
• Gifts must be made from a regular IRA or a Roth IRA. Gifts from a SEP IRA are not eligible.
• Checks must be made payable directly to EMU by your IRA custodian. [Caution: Please do NOT have the check issued in your name.]
• Checks can be mailed to EMU or directly to you. It is preferable to have the check sent directly to EMU. This assures a more timely delivery.
• The maximum amount that can be given in one year by an IRA donor is $100,000. This can be one gift to one charity or the total of multiple gifts to several charities.
• Your gift can be used to fulfill a pledge.
• Please inform EMU about a pending gift since your custodian may send a check without including your name.
• You cannot give from your IRA for charitable gift annuities or for charitable remainder trusts.
• You cannot give to a donor advised fund.
• The Mennonite Foundation is not eligible to receive these gifts.
Other gift information
- Send a letter to your IRA custodian giving them instructions for sending your gift to EMU, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22802. [EMU’s EIN number is 54-057581]
- Either send a copy of that letter or a separate notification letter to EMU for our records.
Sure you do! Be in touch with development program directors, listed below, or call the university development office toll-free at 800-368-3383 at your convenience.