Cuba: keep asking the hard questions

Stepping off the plane, Cuba already felt different. Palm trees lining the road, the sun shining brightly, breathing in the fresh air. Throughout our two weeks here in Cuba we have experienced the beauty of Cuban culture. The streets filled with the sound of music and people dancing, with art displayed in the store windows. “Cuba que linda es Cuba…” This song was constantly repeating in our heads during our time in Cuba. We spent several evenings listening to live music and dancing to the beat. We got to experience the rich nightlife of Cuban culture and enjoy the benefits of valuing the arts.

On top of the beautiful culture and landscapes of Cuba, we have also learned how much harm the US has caused and is still causing the Cuban people. Cuba is being suffocated by the blockade, preventing them from obtaining crucial resources needed to sustain life. Yet despite all this, Cuba is so lively. The young people have a fire to continue fighting for justice and peace. Cubans are open to any questions one might ask, no matter how “political” it is. This was inspiring to me because here in the US, we tend to shy away from those topics, when we really need to be addressing them head-on. I challenge us, moving forward, to be more like the Cuban people and answer questions thrown our way and also to not be afraid to ask questions. We could learn so much more from each other if we just listened and shared our honest opinions, even if they aren’t the popular ones.

Throughout our entire semester, we have been looking at the resilience present in the people around us. In Guatemala, people continue to push through despite a corrupt government and the impacts of migration on their families. In Cuba, people continue to push through despite the blockade put in place by the US government that has been there for 60+ years. The two cultures exhibit this resilience very differently. In Cuba, the people are all united against the one “evil”, fighting together to survive, showing their frustrations and celebrating life through music and art. 

Cuba really opened my eyes to my own ignorance and how important it is to really look into the actions and policy of the US government. I hope to stay up to date on current US policies and encourage others to do the same. We need to use our privilege of being a US citizen well, and do all that we can to make change happen.

-Kate Kraybill

Living in Cuba is surreal, like being transported to another time period. After we exited the airport, the first thing I noticed was the cars. Cars that would turn heads in the U.S. are commonplace. Classic Fords, Cadillacs, Chevys, roam in vibrant colors like pink and sky blue. Next, I learned there are no advertisements lining the streets, simply government billboards or statements celebrating the Cuban revolution. Some on the trip including me used the lack of internet access as an opportunity to really disconnect – going off the grid for two entire weeks. No ads or distractions came to be a beautiful part of my time in Cuba. Instead, I was able to focus on reading, napping, writing, and appreciating my opportunity to be here. After all, who knows when I will have the opportunity to return. All these factors made me feel so separate from the happenings of the world – like Cuba has been for so many years due to the U.S. blockade.

Later, as we spent more time in the country, we realized that what really stands out is the people: the doctors, the artists, the students, the musicians, and every speaker that we listened to. Each one is so passionate and knowledgeable about their field, usually with a funny and contagious energy. In two weeks, we packed in a lot: speakers, museums, restaurants, and outings. However, even on the small island, it feels like we only got to experience a small fraction of Cuban life and stories. I think I speak for everybody on the trip when I would love to return one day, especially to see our amazing group leaders at the Martin Luther King Center.

-Nate Lehman

Guatemala