Loren Swartzendruber, EMU President
EMU President Loren Swartzendruber
A native Midwesterner and graduate of Iowa Mennonite School, President Loren Swartzendruber is a graduate of both EMU and EMS. Dr. Swartzendruber served as chair of the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia (CICV) for the 2009-10 fiscal year.
Dr. Swartzendruber served a decade as associate executive secretary of the former Mennonite Board of Education in Elkhart, Indiana, and then served as president of Hesston College in Kansas from 1994 until his election and inauguration at EMU in early 2004.
During his tenure at EMU he has passionately lead the university toward its mission to prepare students to serve and lead in a global context by developing critical thinking skills through rigorous academics and cross-cultural understanding. Read more about Dr. Swartzendruber…
Dr. Swartzenbruber will be retiring after the 2016 spring semester, marking 13 years as the university’s eighth president and 33 years in Mennonite higher education roles. Read more about the retirement decision…
Reflections from our president
- Opening Convocation, Jan. 2016: “For Just Such a Time as This” – President Loren Swartzendruber: podcast | news story
- President Swarzendruber calls for action, pledges engagement in response to extremism of all forms" News coverage
- “Muchas gracias, danke shon, thank you” October 2015 donor appreciation banquet
- “Working the Soil” August 2014 convocation address, drawing on Matthew 13:1-9: podcast
- “Reflections on Listening Together” January 2014 convocation address: podcast
- “A Desire to Belong” August 2013 convocation address: podcast
- “Love them and Feed Them” January 2013 convocation address: podcast
- “Like No Other” Fall 2012 convocation address: podcast
- Creation Care from an Anabaptist Perspective: this sermon on creation care was filmed by the BBC