EMU nursing graduates are preferred by employers for many reasons, including outstanding academic preparation. About 90% of EMU nursing students pass their state boards on the first try.
Highlights of Our Nursing Program
EMU nursing faculty say nursing is more than knowing about the body. It’s about understanding and caring for the total person.
Our nursing program emphasizes caring relationships motivated by Christian service goals. Nursing preparation at EMU helps students to look at health care needs as part of a whole – physical, spiritual, mental and environmental. Students learn to work in any setting where nurses are needed. We train nurses to have adaptability and confidence in an ever-changing field.
Key points of our program
- Accreditation with the Virginia Board of Nursing and the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education
- Faculty who see themselves as listeners as well as teachers
- 1:1 mentoring by caring professors
- Combination of traditional classroom and laboratory teaching
Units of study may include:
- Laboratory demonstrations and exercises
- Interactive video and multimedia
- Clinical experience in hospitals and other real-life settings
Study options for nursing majors
- Traditional Four-Year Degree
- Traditional Second Degree (four-semester program)
- Accelerated Second Degree (15-month program)
- LPNs (curriculum for LPNs with work experience)
Other nursing programs at EMU
“I have learned so much about the beauty and wonder of God through nursing. Although very challenging at times, there is nothing more spiritual and healing for me than for caring for another human being….When I started at EMU, I don’t think I was prepared for the incredibly holistic development that would take place. My faith journey was shaped here, and it was here that I experienced healing, and that gives me hope for the future.”
- Hannah Tissue, EMU ’14 grad
Degree completion – RN to Bachelor of Science, Major in Nursing
Registered nurses wanting to earn their BS in nursing can enroll in EMU’s Adult Degree Completion Program (evening program), designed for working professionals. The ADCP nursing program is offered at the main Harrisonburg campus and at EMU’s Lancaster site.
MS in Nursing
Our online master’s level program offers two tracks: leadership and management, and school nurse leadership. Both are designed for working nurses who need to maintain family commitments, stay in their home area, and remain on the job while completing graduate studies.
After completion of the program, graduates take the licensure by examination for registered nurses, administered by the National Council of State Board of Nursing, Inc.
|Eastern Mennonite University Department of Nursing
Annual pass rates on NCLEX RN for EMU nursing graduates
(Compared to national average pass rate)
|Year||U.S. average||EMU average|
Source: National Council of State Boards of Nursing statistics