Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony 2013-2014 Season
This ensemble, conducted by Maria Lorcas, provides a high level ensemble experience for advanced junior and senior high wind, percussion and string students.
Admission is by audition only. Auditions are held in September and January. The Youth Symphony meets once a week for 8 weeks in the fall and 8 weeks in the spring. To schedule an audition please call 540-432-4277.
The Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony is holding auditions Thursday evening, September 19th and September 26th at 7:00 (or by appointment) at Eastern Mennonite University. Talented and serious high school students (bassoon, trumpet, trombone, french horn and string players) are encouraged to apply to perform with this high-level ensemble. Call 432-4277 for information and to arrange an audition time.
- Play one prepared piece without accompaniment (SRO piece is fine)
- 2 or 3-octave scale, your choice
- Sight reading
Public performances are scheduled during each session. Auditions are also held each spring for rising seniors who wish to perform a solo with the Youth Symphony.
2013-14 Youth Symphony Schedule
- Youth Symphony Rehearsals begin October 6th
- Fall Concert on November 24th at 4:00 pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Spring Auditions January 25th
- Rehearsals resume January 26th for the Spring.
- Spring Concert on March 23 at 4:00 pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Concerto Auditions for rising Seniors will be held in May.
Check out the Spring 2012 Program!
The purpose of the Youth Symphony is:
- to experience a broad range of symphonic literature
- to broaden training in an orchestral setting
- to experience a high level of music making
- to express individual creativity through concerto performances and performances of student compositions
- to provide an orchestral forum not otherwise available for most wind and percussion players
This ensemble is designed for 4th grade students and higher and is conducted by Sharon Miller. Basic orchestral skills are taught through appropriate musical selections.
Membership is by teacher recommendation. The group meets 9 weeks each semester and performs publicly at least once during the year.