Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony 2017-2018
About the Youth Symphony
This ensemble, conducted by Dr. Yi-Ping Chen, provides a high level ensemble experience for advanced junior and senior high wind, percussion and string students. In addition, specialists will provide coaching in each instrument area.
Admission is by audition only. Auditions are held in September and January. Talented and serious high school students are encouraged to apply to perform with this high-level ensemble.
The Youth Symphony meets on Sunday afternoons for 8 weeks in the fall and 8 weeks in the winter/spring.
Audition dates for Fall Semester are are:
Monday, September 18 from 7:00-10:00pm
Sunday, October 1 from 12:45-1:45 pm
To schedule an audition please call 540-432-4277.
The Youth Symphony currently has openings in: french horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, bassoon, violin, viola, cello, double bass, harp, and percussion.
- Play one prepared piece without accompaniment (Senior Regional Orchestra excerpts are fine)
- 2 or 3-octave scale, your choice
- Sight reading
Auditions are also held each spring for rising seniors who wish to perform a solo with the Youth Symphony.
Youth Symphony Fellowship Program:
In 2014, the Youth Symphony Fellowship Program was established through the generous donations of Bibb and Dolly Frazier. The Fellowship Program supports students who play at a high level and are committed to the Symphony through scholarship money for private lessons and tuition for the Symphony. Priority is given to instrumentalists needed to maintain a solid orchestra. Please contact for more information.
In order to be considered for the new Fellowship (includes Youth Symphony tuition and money towards private lessons), you must:
- Submit a recommendation letter from your private teacher (email is fine) prior to your audition to Sharon Miller, email@example.com.
- Commit to the entire season
- Audition by October 1 (scale of your choice, prepared piece of your choice, sight-reading)
- Be an ambassador for the Youth Symphony at your school (promoting auditions and concerts)
- Assist the conductor or program director with duties that will be decided after the auditions.
Contact if you would like to make a donation to help this important program continue in the future.
2017-18 Youth Symphony Schedule
(Members will receive a detailed schedule)
- Rehearsals for Fall 2017 begin October 1st
- Children’s Concert on October 29th, 3:30 p.m. Lehman Auditorium.
- Fall Concert on November 19th, 4 p.m. in Lehman Auditorium.
- Winter session starts January 21st
- Winter Concert on March 18th 4 p.m. in Lehman Auditorium.
The purpose of the Youth Symphony is:
- to experience a broad range of symphonic literature
- to broaden training in an orchestral setting
- to experience a high level of music making
- to express individual creativity through concerto performances and performances of student compositions
- to provide an orchestral forum not otherwise available for most wind and percussion players
This ensemble is for intermediate students who read music at the Suzuki Book 2 level or higher. It is conducted by Sharon Miller. Basic orchestral skills are taught through appropriate musical selections.
Membership is by teacher recommendation. The group meets 9 weeks each semester and performs publicly at least once during the year.