Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony 2014-2015 Season
This ensemble, conducted by Maria Lorcas, provides a high level ensemble experience for advanced junior and senior high wind, percussion and string students.
Admission is by audition only. Auditions are held in September and January. The Youth Symphony meets once a week for 8 weeks in the fall and 8 weeks in the spring. To schedule an audition please call 540-432-4277.
The Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony is holding auditions Thursday evening, September 18th and Thursday evening, September 25th at 7:00 (or by appointment) at Eastern Mennonite University. Talented and serious high school students (bassoon, trumpet, trombone, french horn and string players) are encouraged to apply to perform with this high-level ensemble. Call 432-4277 for information and to arrange an audition time.
- Play one prepared piece without accompaniment (SRO piece is fine)
- 2 or 3-octave scale, your choice
- Sight reading
Public performances are scheduled during each session. Auditions are also held each spring for rising seniors who wish to perform a solo with the Youth Symphony.
Youth Orchestra Fellowship Program:
In order to be considered for the new Fellowship (includes Youth Orchestra tuition and money towards private lessons), you must:
• Submit a recommendation letter from your private teacher (email is fine) prior to your audition to Sharon Miller, email@example.com.
• Commit to the entire season
• Audition on September 18 or 25 (scale of your choice, prepared piece of your choice, sight-reading)
• Be an ambassador for the Youth Orchestra at your school (promoting auditions and concerts)
• Assist the conductor or program director with duties that will be decided after the auditions.
2014-15 Youth Symphony Schedule
- Youth Symphony Rehearsals begin October 5th
- Fall Concert on November 23rd at 4:00 pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Spring Auditions January 21st and 22nd.
- Rehearsals resume January 25th for the Spring.
- Spring Concert on March 22 at 4:00 pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Concerto Auditions for rising Seniors will be held in May 2015.
The purpose of the Youth Symphony is:
- to experience a broad range of symphonic literature
- to broaden training in an orchestral setting
- to experience a high level of music making
- to express individual creativity through concerto performances and performances of student compositions
- to provide an orchestral forum not otherwise available for most wind and percussion players
This ensemble is designed for 4th grade students and higher and is conducted by Sharon Miller. Basic orchestral skills are taught through appropriate musical selections.
Membership is by teacher recommendation. The group meets 9 weeks each semester and performs publicly at least once during the year.