Preparatory Music Program
Shenandoah Valley Preparatory Music became a program of EMU’s department of music in 1988 and is dedicated to providing the highest quality music education to all students in the central Shenandoah Valley regardless of age, race, ability, financial circumstances, or ethnic origin through private and/or group instruction in a variety of musical areas as well as through performance settings. Under the direction of administrative director Sharon M.D. Miller, musical instruction is given to over 400 students in the following areas:
- Instrumental music instruction: violin, viola, cello, double bass, piano, flute, guitar; Suzuki violin, viola, cello, piano, flute and guitar.
- Recreational Music Making: adult group piano classes
- Musikgarten: ages birth to 7 years
- Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony and Junior Strings: grades 3-12
- Harrisonburg City School Strings Program: grades 3-4 in the elementary schools and grades 5-8 in the middle schools
For more information contact .
Our students and performances
Believing music can enrich everyone’s life and is to be shared, performances are arranged in formal and informal settings on EMU’s campus and throughout the community to provide quality music education to the residents of the greater central Shenandoah Valley area. Participants come from as far north and east as Woodstock and Luray and from as far south as Waynesboro and Lexington. Students also travel from West Virginia.
- Piano Masterclass, February 14th, 11am in Martin Chapel
- Piano Festival, March 14 (information through Harrisonburg MTNA)
- 25th Season Celebration! Junior Strings and Youth Symphony Concerts, March 22, 4pm
- Spring Recitals, March 27, 28, & 29
- Suzuki Group Concert, May 3, 3pm
- Semester ends, May 1
- Make-up Lessons will be held May 4 – 8
- Suzuki Strings and More! Camp, June 29 – July 2 (More info to come!)