Preparatory Music Program
Shenandoah Valley Preparatory Music became a program of EMU’s department of music in 1988 and is dedicated to providing the highest quality music education to all students in the central Shenandoah Valley regardless of age, race, ability, financial circumstances, or ethnic origin through private and/or group instruction in a variety of musical areas as well as through performance settings. Under the direction of administrative director Sharon M.D. Miller, musical instruction is given to over 400 students in the following areas:
- Instrumental music instruction: violin, viola, cello, piano, flute, guitar; Suzuki violin, viola, cello, piano, flute and guitar.
- Musikgarten: ages birth to 7 years
- Shenandoah Valley Youth Symphony and Junior Strings: grades 3-12
- Harrisonburg City School Strings Program: grades 3-4 in the elementary schools and grades 5-8 in the middle schools
For more information contact .
Our students and performances
Believing music can enrich everyone’s life and is to be shared, performances are arranged in formal and informal settings on EMU’s campus and throughout the community to provide quality music education to the residents of the greater central Shenandoah Valley area. Participants come from as far north and east as Woodstock and Luray and from as far south as Waynesboro and Lexington. Students also travel from West Virginia.
- EMU/HMTA Annual Piano Festival will be held March 15th.
- The EMU/HMTA Honors Recital will be held at 4:00 pm on March 16th in Martin Chapel.
- Youth Orchestra will perform their Spring Concert on March 23rd at 4:00 pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- The Preparatory Music Spring Recitals will be held April 8th, 11th, 12th and 13th.
- The Annual Suzuki Group Concert will take place on May 4th at 3:00 pm in Lehman Auditorium.
- Harrisonburg All City School String Festival will be held on May 5th at 6:30 pm in Harrisonburg High School’s Auditorium.
- Suzuki Strings and More Day Camp will take place June 30 – July 3rd on EMU’s campus.