Preparing for the Medical/Dental School Application Process
The process also applies for application to other professional health schools (Physical Therapy, Physician’s Assistant, Veterinarian, etc.)
The core curriculum of the MA in biomedicine program at EMU provides a strong preparation for the future health care provider. Academic courses in the natural sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics), social sciences (psychology, sociology), theology and ethics, cross-cultural studies, and research and practicum experiences produce a matrix of understanding that leads to the formation of an intellect which is both emphatic and aware of global needs and issues.
Getting off to a strong start
In preparation for taking professional health science school entrance examinations such as the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) or Dental Admissions Test (DAT), comprehending an understanding basic science information is essential.
Can you enter medical or dental school through the biomedical science program concentration?
Tentatively, yes. However that positive response is contingent on some conditions. Consider the following:
- Medical education is not for the half-hearted or lazy, but requires firmness of purpose and a strong commitment.
- You have a deep sense of personal responsibility, integrity, compassion, tolerance, sensitivity, and emotional stability.
- You are efficient, neat, and able to make quick decisions.
- You have an understanding about the requirements for specific medical schools and apply in a timely fashion to the ones that appropriately fit your qualifications and interest.
- If you can demonstrate that you have mastered the basic science requirements with an average GPA of 3.5.
The MA in Biomedicine program has secured an articulated agreement with Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM), and is currently in conversation with other professional health schools for similar agreements. For specific information regarding VCOM, please contact program administrators.
Taking the path to medical/dental school
- Enroll in the biomedical science concentration
- Choose appropriate courses
- Gain significant volunteer, clinical, and research experiences
- Successfully complete all required and some recommended courses BEFORE taking the MCAT or DAT
- Prepare thoughtfully and score well on the MCAT or DAT exam.
- Complete EMU’s application process for supporting services and documents
- Complete the application process for AMCAS and AACOMAS, or dental school
- Request letters of recommendation
- Prepare for interview
It is recommended students begin preparing their medical school application the spring before the application is due. To receive a committee recommendation letter from program faculty, students must complete the forms listed below.