Application Criteria and Process
Application deadline for the 2016-2017 cohort is March 1, 2016
Application packets are available from the Master of Arts in Counseling office. Contact graduate admissions for more information, 800-710-7871. A complete application should contain:
- A completed Master of Arts in Counseling application
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.00.
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended.
- Three letters of reference (at least two of which must be academic).
- Statement of purpose : write a narrative (1-3 pages) that describes your:
- academic/research interest and professional goals
- volunteer and professional experiences
- life experiences that have influenced your view of compassionate service and social justice.
- In addition to the requirements above, international applicants should submit the following information:
- Nationality and country of birth (international applicants currently residing in the United States must indicate status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- A completed International Student Sponsor Agreement. Please contact Amanda Williams at 540-432-4243 or email@example.com for form and current costs.
- For applicants whose native language is not English:
We require that applicants receive at least a 79 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), this compares to a 550 on the paper-based test and a score of 213 for the computer-based test. EMU’s institutional code is 5181. Applicants who have studied and received a degree from a college or university where all instruction is in English are not required to submit TOEFL scores).