Application Criteria and Process
Application packets are available from the Master of Arts in Counseling office. Contact graduate admissions for more information, 800-710-7871. A complete application should contain:
- A completed Master of Arts in Counseling application
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.00.
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended.
- Three letters of reference (at least two of which must be academic).
- Statement of purpose : write a narrative (1-3 pages) that describes your:
- academic/research interest and professional goals
- volunteer and professional experiences
- life experiences that have influenced your view of compassionate service and social justice.
- In addition to the requirements above, international applicants should submit the following information:
- Nationality and country of birth (international applicants currently residing in the United States must indicate status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- A completed International Student Sponsor Agreement. Please contact Amanda Williams at 540-432-4243 or email@example.com for form and current costs.
- For applicants whose native language is not English:
We require that applicants receive at least a 79 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), this compares to a 550 on the paper-based test and a score of 213 for the computer-based test. EMU’s institutional code is 5181. Applicants who have studied and received a degree from a college or university where all instruction is in English are not required to submit TOEFL scores).
Admissions timeline 2018
Application due: March 1st
Notification of Interview: TBA
Interview day: TBA
To help both the candidate and the program discern fit and readiness, we have developed an admissions interview procedure that involves applicants, faculty members and current students in an intensive sample experience of the training program. We invite current students to participate in this process each year by volunteering to provide applicants with helpful information and support.