Biomedicine Practicum

By Jessica Simms

Jessica Simms

I am a second-year graduate student in the MA in Biomedicine Program at Eastern Mennonite University. My ultimate goal is to attend Physician Assistant school and become a valued health care provider. So far, this program has provided me with numerous opportunities to grow academically, professionally and personally. Some of the courses that make this unique program include, but are not limited to Cross-Culture, Research in Biomedicine, Human Anatomy with cadaver dissection, and Biomedicine Practicum.

Over the summer, I was enrolled in Biomedicine Practicum, which was taught by Dr. Carolyn Stauffer. The goal of this course was to provide students with the opportunity to shadow a provider of their choice for a minimum of 32 hours. In addition, students were required to record their thoughts and responses to questions in a weekly journal. Dr. Stauffer assigned specific questions that challenged students to think critically and encouraged students to engage in communication with the provider they are shadowing. Furthermore, students were able to learn valuable information regarding how the provider remains professional and ethical when confronted with arduous situations in a health care setting.

For my experience, in particular, I had the remarkable privilege of shadowing Monica Clark-Covert, Nurse Practitioner, at Sentara Rockingham Memorial Hospital’s Integrative Medicine. Unfortunately, Integrative Medicine did not have a Physician Assistant for me to shadow; however, the opportunity to shadow a Nurse Practitioner was comparable in that job responsibilities are relatively similar between the two. Integrative Medicine is the combination of both conventional medicine and alternative medicine focusing on the mind, body, and soul of the patient, which is becoming increasingly popular in the United States. Interestingly enough, the MA in Biomedicine Program at Eastern Mennonite University also encourages and embraces the concept of mind, body, and soul. Monica is an excellent example of a provider that communicates well, shows compassion, and works assiduously to provide the best possible care for her patients. After shadowing Monica for several weeks, I not only learned about how medicine is practiced in that office, but also about myself as a future provider.

In conclusion, Biomedicine Practicum offers a unique opportunity for students to observe and learn from present-day practicing providers in a health care setting of various specialties. This ultimately equips students with a comprehensive background in how medical offices and hospitals operate, as well as the key qualities a provider must possess to be a valued health care provider.