Reflections of a First-year Student

by Shanae ScottShane Scott 1

My first year here at Eastern Mennonite University has been very rewarding. As an MA candidate in the Biomedicine program, I have gained valuable experiences and knowledge just in my first year. Coming into this program, I was certainly scared. I even contemplated if it was the right thing for me. I was nervous because I had taken a year off of school and knew I had to step it up to be successful in graduate school. I doubted myself. Once I got into the program and classes began, I was able to jump into the work. I prided myself on working hard to keep up with the work and get ahead. I quickly figured out which study methods worked best for me, such as effective time management and balancing the workload.
I also got to know the other students in the program, and they have also been great resources of help. This program has allowed me to build everlasting friendships with this close-knit group of people. I love how they are always willing to be of assistance, and I enjoy both giving and receiving advice. I have grown so much just in my first year. For example, I have a stronger appreciation for what I want to do and where I want to be in life–namely, an optometrist. I am thankful for a successful first year of graduate school and with the support of my advisor, whom I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know very well and the support of my professors. I have a strong feeling of empowerment, and I am being armed with skill sets and knowledge that will allow me to be successful in life.