Peru: shout out to host families

When I thought about spending three months in Peru, I had a lot of fears. I worried about learning a new language, learning how to use public transportation, and standing out as a tourist. Once I arrived, I realized that using public transportation is easy, standing out as a tourist is inevitable, and learning the language is the most challenging part of the trip. It is overwhelming, and very humbling, to experience living in an area where I required assistance to order food, get directions, and buy groceries, all while being immediately recognized as a foreigner. It became more difficult once I met my host family, who were, and are, determined to improve my Spanish through long conversations.

Despite all warnings of the adjustment period when spending so much time in another country, I hadn’t quite realized just how difficult it would be to completely change my routine and suddenly need to acquire several new skills. Now, almost two months later, I have settled into a routine that I would have found hard to believe when I first arrived in Peru. I am capable of holding conversations with my host family in Spanish, with lots of laughing and minimal translation required. I also spend a lot of time with my host family and have learned a lot about them. In particular, I have an incredibly sweet host mother, who likes to cook, do her own home improvement projects, and loves to travel. Side note: if you ever get the chance, she makes incredible food.  I have learned so much about different South American countries from her stories, and we enjoy comparing the differences between Peru and the United States when we have dinner together. For lunch, much of the group frequents a restaurant near our classroom, and I no longer need help ordering my food. I have a favorite snack that I buy at the local grocery store, and a favorite route to run on weekends. Now that I’ve finally settled into a routine, our group is splitting up and moving to different parts of Peru. Having done it once before, I’m excited to see what new challenges arise!

-Erin Clayton, Senior

Living with a host family during my time here in Lima has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had here in Peru.  I live in the district of Chorrillos with my host mom, Mary.  My host sister, Luana, lived with us until she traveled to Spain one month ago.  My host mom and I enjoy watching movies together, laughing about random things, and talking about our days. We also enjoy going out to eat my favorite Peruvian dish, “lomo saltado”. My host mom has a big heart and has made me feel at home here in Lima.  I am going to miss her a lot when I leave Lima next week!

-Anika Hurst, Junior