Social Work students may do an internship at WCSC as their Senior Social Work practicum, or simply an additional internship experience. The WCSC seminar class is an accepted substitute for the Social Stratification course.
- Children’s National Medical Center – Those interested in community health care work at the Children’s Health Project at THEARC DC, a large community organization, helping to educate families in ways they can promote their children’s health and wellbeing. Students work directly with patients and their parents.
- The Women’s Collective – Interns assist with all aspects of programming at this resource center for women with HIV. TWC provides HIV care management, HIV prevention services, and policy and advocacy. Interns at TWC help with intake and the food and clothing resource rooms, and are eased into their own case load.
- DC Rape Crisis Center – Interns may participate in any of the following: sexual assault presentations in schools and awareness event planning, answering the sexual assault hotline (after training), updating training materials, and other administrative tasks.
- The Family Place is a community drop-in center that provides resources and support services to expectant parents and families with young children. Their services include ESL instruction, support groups for victims of domestic violence, and parenting classes, and case management.
Children & Youth
- The National Center for Children and Families at J.C. Nalle Community School
- Columbia Heights Shaw Family Support Collaborative
- CONCERN Foster care
- Latin American Youth Center At-risk youth; after-school programs, gang prevention, sex education, art workshops, and other services
- DC Action for Children
- The Family Place
- Mary’s Center provides healthcare, English classes, and other services for women and children
- My Sister’s Place – Domestic violence shelter
- N Street Village – Homeless shelter for women
- YWCA – Promoting awareness and action on social justice issues in the community, particularly racism and violence against women
- Catholic Charities Refugee Center
- The International Rescue Committee
- Ethiopian Community Development Council
- Torture Abolition and Survivors Support Coalition