Office Phone: (540) 432-4665
Office Location: SC 027
Dr. Kishbaugh earned a B.S. in chemistry from Wheaton College and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry from Dartmouth College where she studied the reactions of electron deficient indoles. While in graduate school, she taught Organic Chemistry for a year at St. Michael’s College, Winooski, Vermont. Before coming to EMU, she was a Dreyfus Teaching Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Massachusetts. During her post-doctoral position, she explored approaches to fluorinated allenes. She brings a background of significant research, publications and presentation with special concern for integrating faith and scientific study. Tara’s chemistry-related hobbies include photography, baking, and tie-dying. Tara’s research interests include chemical education, heterocyclic chemistry, and water quality studies.
B.S, Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois
Ph.D., Dartmouth College
Dreyfus Teaching Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Massachusetts, North Dartmouth
Past five years; for additional papers, see GoogleScholar.
- Metalation of Pyrrole. Kishbaugh, T.L.S. Heterocyclic Scaffolds II: Indoles, ed. Gribble, G.W. Topics in Heterocyclic Chemistry (in press).
- Measuring Beyond Content: An analytic rubric bank for assessing skills in authentic research assignments in the sciences. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Cessna, S. Flanagan, T.; Neufeld, D.G.; Horst, S.J.; Leaman, L.; Siderhurst, M. Chemical Education Research and Practice, published online April 2012 (DOI: 10.1039/C2RP00023G).
- 1,2- Bis(phenylsulfonyl)-1H-indole as an acceptor of organocuprate nucleophiles. Qian, D.C.; Alford, P.E.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Jones, S.T.; Gribble, G.W. Arkivoc, IV, 2010, 66-73.
- Reactions of Indole with Nucleophiles. Kishbaugh, T.L.S. Heterocyclic Scaffolds II: Indoles, ed. Gribble, G.W. Topics in Heterocyclic Chemistry, 26, 2010, 117-140.
- Nucleophilic Addition of Hetaryllithium Compounds to 3-Nitro-1-(phenylsulfonyl)indole: Synthesis of Tetracyclic Thieno[3,2-c]- -carbolines. Alford, P.E.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Gribble, G.W. Heterocycles, 80, 2010, 831-840.
- Phytoremediation as a Multi-Week Laboratory Project for Teaching General Chemistry Thermodynamics and Equilibrium.. Cessna SG, Kishbaugh TK, Graber Neufeld D, Cessna GA, Journal of Chemical Education 2009, 86, 726-729.
- Mn(III) based radical addition reactions of 2-nitroindole with activated CH compounds.. Androsov, D.A.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Gribble, G.W. Tetrahedron Letters, 2008, 49, 6621-6623.
- Four papers on the X-ray Crystal Structure Determination of 2-protected-1,2,3,4-tetrahydropyrrolo[3,4-bindoles. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.;Gribble, G.W.; Jasinski, J. Acta Crystallography, E, E63, 2007, 3408, 3409, 3410, 3411.
- X-ray Crystal Structure Determination of 9-(Phenylsulfonyl)-9H-carabazol-2-ol. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.;Gribble, G.W.; Jasinski, J. Acta Crystallography, C, E63, 2007, 2472-2473.
- X-ray Crystal Structure Determination of 4-Methoxy-4a-nitro-9-(phenylsulfonyl)-4,4a,9,9a-tetrahydro-1H-carbazol_2(3H)-one. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Gribble, G.W.; Jasinski, J. Acta Crystallography, C, E63, 2007, 2470-2471.
- 1, 3-Dipolar Cycloaddition of 2- and 3-Nitroindoles with Azomethine Ylides: A new approach to pyrrolo[3,4-b]indoles. Roy, S.; Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Jasinski, J.P.; Gribble, G.W. Tetrahedron Letters, 2007, 48, 1313-1316.
- Water Runs Black: the experience of service learning in environmental chemistry Kishbaugh, T.L.S., “Faith Traditions, Spirituality and Service- Learning”, Messiah College, Grantham, PA June 1-3, 2006.
- Stream health assessment of the Blacks Run river. Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Cessna, S.G.; Heatwole, C. B.; Roggie, B.; Shirk, P. L. The 230th ACS National Meeting, in Washington, DC, Aug 28-Sept 1, 2005.
- Led bread baking workshops during Food and Farming week since 2005
- At-large member of the Shenandoah Resource Conservation & Development Council
- STEM summer bridge program, Faculty Mentor 2009, 2010
- Chemistry Day: Understanding Thermodynamics: Energy Entropy & Equilibrium, sponsored by the American Chemical Society , a series of six different presentations made at the Charlotte, NC National Science Teachers Association Regional Meeting, Bell, J., Kishbaugh, T.L.S., October 31, 2008.
- Understanding Thermodynamics: Energy Entropy & Equilibrium, a series of presentations made at the Detroit National Science Teachers Association Regional Meeting, Bell, J., Kishbaugh, T.L.S., October 19, 2007.
- Advanced high school chemistry workshop sponsored by the American Chemical Society, co-taught by Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Swope, S., Diaz, P. Greater Hartford Academy of Mathematics and Science, Hartford, CT, July 8-11, 2007.
- Advanced high school chemistry workshop sponsored by the American Chemical Society, co-taught by Kishbaugh, T.L.S.; Mitschele, J., University of St. Thomas, St Paul, MN, August 6-9, 2006.
- VDACS: “Sustaining Organic Blueberry Production: Analysis of Practices and Assessing Outcomes.” Program director: Roman J Miller. Co-PI: S. Cessna, T.L.S. Kishbaugh. (11/2011-10/2013) Knoll Acre Blueberries
- National Science Foundation, Course, Curriculum and Laboratory Improvement. “Promoting learning through authentic and relevant research experiences in environmental monitoring and remediation across ten chemistry and biology laboratory courses”:http://nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=0837578 Co-PI with S. Cessna, L. H. Leaman, M. Siderhurst, and D. Graber Neufeld. 2009-13. Project Page
- Citizen Monitoring Grant from the Va Department of Environmental Quality, 2009.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute: Regional Study and the Liberal Arts: An Appalachian Exemplar, Ferrum College, Ferrum, Va, Summer 2006
- American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund Summer Fellowship with Gordon W. Gribble at Dartmouth College, Summer 2005, Topic: Oxidative radical additions to nitroindoles.
- American Chemical Society
- Shenandoah Anabaptist Science Society, chair
- American Scientific Affiliation
Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, 2012
Relating to the Land- Interdisciplinary, team-taught senior seminar which examines the variety of ways that people groups have related to and used the land, with an emphasis on regional topics, Appalachian studies. 2006
Drugs: Discovery, Design, Action- A writing intensive medicinal chemistry course intended to teach the principles that govern the process of modern drug discovery and development and to introduce students to some modes of drug activity. 2007
Food: Science, Rituals, Lore-A honors colloquium about the ways in which we as a society relate to food. As a science, cooking may be the oldest and most widespread application of chemistry and recipes may be the oldest practical result of chemical research. While we can learn much about food by studying the chemistry of cooking it and the nutrition we gain from it, often what we eat and how we eat it are packed with meaning beyond what is scientifically measurable. 2008
Intellectual Life 2009-
Creation Care Council, 2007-2010
Honors Committee, 2004-
Pre-professional Health Committee, 2005-present
SASS Steering Committee, Chair, 2005-present