Office Phone: (540) 432-4591
Office Location: SC 018C
Deirdre Smeltzer in the news:
Deirdre Longacher Smeltzer, Professor of Mathematics and Director of Cross-cultural Programs, has been teaching at EMU since 1998. Prior to 1998, she spent four years as an assistant professor in the Mathematics Department at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN. Deirdre is an alumna of EMU, where she majored in mathematics, with a Bible minor. She earned an M.S. and a Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Virginia; Deirdre’s graduate research was in the area of algebraic coding theory. Recent scholarly interests have included exploring other branches of combinatorics and the co-authoring of an MAA-published book, Methods for Euclidean Geometry. A 2006 sabbatical was spent teaching and writing in China; Deirdre plans to return to China in the fall of 2013, leading a group of students on a cross-cultural trip. Deirdre is married to Sherwyn Smeltzer, has two daughters, and enjoys reading, cooking, exercise, and travel.
B.A., Eastern Mennonite University, 1987
M.S., Mathematics, University of Virginia, 1990
Ph.D., Mathematics, University of Virginia, 1994
- A 3-D Analog of Steiner’s Porism, under review (submitted to Math Magazine), with Owen Byer.
- Methods for Euclidean Geometry, with Owen Byer and Felix Lazebnik, Mathematical Association of America, 2010.
- Exploring Loci in Geometry, with Owen D. Byer, Proceedings of the Sixteenth Conference of the ACMS (2007), pp 114-140.
- Edge bounds in non-hamiltonian k-connected graphs, with Owen D. Byer, Discrete Mathematics, Volume 307 (2007), pp 1572-1579.
- A Guide to Mathematics Competency, with Owen D. Byer, for use in EMU Foundations of Math course, 2007.
- Exponential Numbers of Inequivalent Difference Sets in Z2s+1xZ2s+1, with James A. Davis, Journal of Combinatorial Designs, Volume 11 (2003), pp 249-259.
- Properties of Codes from Difference Sets in 2-Groups, Designs, Codes, and Cryptography, Volume 16 (1999), pp 291-306.
(June 2010-December 2012 only)
- Building a Successful Required Cross-cultural Program, with Jason Good, NAFSA Region VIII meeting, Alexandria, VA, November 17, 2012.
- Using Methods for Euclidean Geometry in the Classroom, with Owen Byer, MAA-AMS joint national meeting, Boston, MA, January 6, 2012.
- Codes, Ciphers, and Hat Games, Rockingham County professional development presentation, October 31, 2011.
- Spherical Inversions and their Applications to Geometry, Invited colloquium presentation, James Madison University, October 3, 2011.
- Applications of Circular and Spherical Inversions, with Owen Byer, Joint Meeting of the AMS and the MAA, New Orleans, LA, January 6, 2011.
- Applications of Circular and Spherical Inversions, with Owen Byer, Sectional Meeting of the MAA, George Mason University, November 6, 2010.
- Red Hat, Blue Hat: An Introduction to Coding Theory, Invited colloquium presentation, Longwood University, October 19, 2010.
(June 2010-May 2012 only)
- Parent-Teacher Fellowship Secretary, July 2011-present.
- Co-facilitator of professional development session for Harrisonburg City middle school math teachers, with Dr. Edwin O’Shea and Dr. Elizabeth Arnold, October 13, 2011.
- College for a Day presentation, Red Hat, Blue Hat: What Color is Your Hat?, with Laura Hershey, June 3, 2011.
- Worship leader, Park View Mennonite church, 2011.
- Teacher for college-age Sunday School class, Park View Mennonite Church, January 2011-present.
- Minutes taker, Friendly City Food Co-op Board, December 2009-September 2011.
- STEM Fellow for 2010.
- Adult Sunday School class leader, Park View Mennonite Church, January 2008-December 2010.
- Shenandoah Valley Children’s Choir volunteer, 2007-2012.
- Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences
- Mathematical Association of America
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Virginia International Educators
(June 2010-December 2012 only)
- NAFSA Region VIII Conference, Alexandria, VA, November 15-17, 2012.
- Virginia International Educators Fall Conference, Charlottesville, VA, October 19, 2012.
- Council of Independent Colleges Workshop for Department and Division Chairs, Charleston, SC, May 22-24, 2012.
- National Joint Meeting of the MAA and the AMS, Boston, MA, January 4-7, 2012.
- Sectional Meeting of the MAA, Randolph Macon University, Ashland, VA, April 15-26, 2011.
- National Joint Meeting of the MAA and the AMS, New Orleans, LA, January 6-9, 2011.
- Sectional Meeting of the MAA, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, November 5-6, 2010.
(2010-12 Academic Years only)
- Undergraduate Council member
- Executive Committee of the Undergraduate Council member
- Mathematical Sciences Department Chair
- Chair of one Colleague Review Committee and member of a second
- Institutional Effectiveness Committee member
- Cords of Distinction Selection Committee member
- Honors Mentor to three students
- University Consultant for two student teachers