Office Phone: (717) 397-5190
Cell Phone: (717) 490-0145
Office Location: * *
Office Hours: By appointment
Academic Director RN-BSN
Academic Director, Professor
ADCP Lancaster RN to BS
Dr. Simmons is the academic director and major professor for the ADCP RN-to-BS track in Lancaster, PA. She earned her EdD from Teacher’s College at Columbia University, an MSN from Columbia University, an Ms Ed from Temple University and her BS from Messiah College. She is an experienced medical-surgical and critical care nurse. Her research has focused on effectiveness of the nursing school environment and the development of caring ability among nursing students. She is married to Mark Simmons who is the Director of the School of Respiratory Therapy at York College of Pennsylvania. Their oldest son, Clinton, is married to Christina Yoder. Both are teachers. Their youngest son, Ted is married to Heather Edelman. Both are registered nurses. Dr. Simmons is involved in the Lancaster Brethren in Christ Church.
EdD Teacher’s College at Columbia University
M.S.N. Columbia University
M.S.Ed Temple University
B.S. Messiah College
Simmons, P.R. (2012). History and physical exam. In D.R. Hess (Ed.), Respiratory care principles and practice (pp. 330-348). Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders
Simmons, P.R. (2011). Abortion: A dilemma revisited. Shalom: A Journal for the Practice of Reconciliation, 31(4), 4.
Simmons, P.R. (2008). Common laboratory tests. In M.A. Hogan (Ed.), Comprehensive review for NCLEX-RN.(pp. 821-837). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
Simmons, P.R. & Simmons, M. L. (2004). The state of the art: Oxygen therapy for patients with COPD. MEDSURG Nursing, 13, 82-85.
Simmons, P.R. (2003). A primer for nurses who administer blood products. MEDSURG Nursing, 12, 184-192.
Simmons, P. R. & Cavanaugh, S. H. (2000). Relationships among student and graduate caring ability and professional school climate. Journal of Professional Nursing, 16, 76-83.
Cavanaugh, S. H. & Simmons, P. R. (Winter,1998). Teaching and learning caring ability. Medical Encounter, 2-4.
Cavanaugh, S. H. & Simmons, P.R. (1997) . Evaluation of a school climate instrument for assessing affective objectives in health professional education. Evaluation and the Health Professions, 20, 455-478.
Simmons, P. R. and Cavanaugh, S. H. (1996). Relationships among childhood parental care, professional school climate and nursing student caring ability. Journal of Professional Nursing, 12, 373-381.
- Church Affiliation: Lancaster Brethren in Christ
- Deacon, 2013
- Chairman of Missions Committee, 2009 to present
- Member of the Board of Directors of LoveINC of Lancaster County
- Certified Zumba Fitness Instructor: Teach three one-hour sessions weekly — free to church and community members
- President District 16 Pennsylvania State Nurses Association. 2009 to present
- Vice president District 16 Pennsylvania State Nurses Association. 2005 to 2009.
- Member of Program Committee of the South Central Pennsylvania Evidence-Based Practice Consortium, 2013
- Ongoing: Professional preceptor and mentor for graduate students who complete their teaching practica at EMU at Lancaster
- Attained Certified Nurse Educator Status, 2012
- Nursing Education Award in 2006 from Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
- American Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
- Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
- Pennsylvania State Nurses Association District 16
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society
*Isabel Maitland Steward Conference, Teachers College, Columbia University, 2013
*Viruses and Germs: A Microbiology Update, Lancaster, PA, 2013
*Legislative Day sponsored by PSNA, Harrisburg, PA, 2013
- Annual Summit, PSNA, DeSales University, PA, 2013
- Presiding President of District 16 in the hosting of a Town Hall attended by three Pennsylvania congressman, 2013
- Review Course for Nurse Educator Certification, 2012
- Annual Convention of the National League for Nursing in September 2011