Office Phone: (540) 432-4195
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: CC 328
Office Hours: By appointment
“My mission at EMU is to provide a holistic learning environment for student nurses to acquire and apply the essentials of nursing knowledge, skill, and clinical reasoning, and to partner with students as they develop a philosophy of nursing grounded in Christian faith.”
Laura has clinical experience in medical-surgical nursing, progressive care/ telemetry nursing, advanced nursing care (Primary Care Adult Nurse Practitioner), and nursing research. She is a BSN graduate of Goshen College, holds a MS degree in nursing from the University of South Florida, and a PhD in nursing from the University of Virginia. Her research centers around understanding adolescent health behavior and the multilevel contextual influences relating to the development of healthy lifestyles. She enjoys spending time with her son, daughter, husband, and family, and hobbies include singing, ballroom dancing, road cycling, and reading. She is a board member for the Pi Mu At Large chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honors Society and for Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship. Laura is an active member of Park View Mennonite Church.
- PhD, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 2014
- MS, Adult Nurse Practitioner, University of South Florida, Tampa, 2002
- BSN, Goshen College, Goshen, IN, 1997
- Yoder, L.A.G., Xin, W., Norris, K.C., Yan, G. (2013). Patient care staffing levels and facility characteristics in U.S. hemodialysis facilities. American Journal of Kidney Disease, 62(6), 1130-1140.
Scholarly Presentations and Abstracts
- September 18, 2014. Yoder, L.A.G., Kulbok, P.A., & Schmidt, K. “Complex Relationships among Multi-Level Contextual Factors for Adolescent Health Promotion.” The Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science 2014 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research. Washington, D.C.
- November 2, 2012. Yoder, L.A.G. “Substance Free Youth: Who Are They and What Can We Learn from Them?” Leadership and Education in Adolescent Health Fellows, Seminar, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- June 6-8, 2014. Akerson, E. Glick, D., Kane, C., Bullock, L., & Yoder, L. “Interprofessional Family Reviews: Collaborative Support with Community Health Workers.” All Together Better Health Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Feb. 12-15, 2014. Yoder, L.A.G. “Patterns of Ecological Influencing Factors for Health Promotion in Substance Free Youth.” Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- Feb. 27-March 2, 2013. Yoder, L.A.G. “An Evolutionary Concept Analysis of Emotional Intelligence.” Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, Little Rock, Arkansas.
- April 3-4, 2012. Yoder, L.A.G. & Kulbok, P.A. “Substance-Free Youth: A Systematic Literature Review.” Virginia Youth Tobacco Project, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA. Abstract published in The Future of Tobacco Control: Implications for the Prevention of Youth Tobacco Use in Virginia.
- Feb. 20-23, 2012. Yoder, L.A.G. & Kulbok, P.A. “Substance-Free Youth: A Systematic Literature Review.” Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Dec. 21, 2010. Laboratory Results: Pieces of the Diagnostic Puzzle. Co-presented with colleague Catherine Rittenhouse at Rockingham Memorial Hospital.
Church, Community and Professional Service
- Elder – Park View Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, VA, Aug. 2014-present
- Board Member, Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship, Aug. 2014-present
- Governance Committee Member, Pi Mu At Large Chapter of STTI, Aug. 2014-present
- Chair of Induction Program Planning Committee, Pi Mu At large Chapter of STTI (2010-2011)
- Yalla Sunday School Class facilitator, Park View Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, VA (2010-current)
Honors, Awards and Grants
- Phyllis Verhonick Dissertation Award, UVA School of Nursing, May 2014
- Ravens Society, Inducted, UVA, Fall 2013
- STAR Mentor Honorarium – School of Nursing, UVA, 2013
- Excellence in Nursing Instruction Award* from VNSA (Virginia Nursing Students Association), received Feb. 5th, 2011
Certifications and Licenses
- Registered Nurse, Virginia
- AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
- Southern Nursing Research Society
- American Nurses Association
- Virginia Nurses Association
- Pi Mu At Large Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
Professional Conferences Attended
- April, 2011 – Winchester Medical Cardiovascular Conference
- March, 2011 – Conversations on Attachment Conference, EMU
- April, 2010 – Pi Mu Professional Development Day for Nurses, Harrisonburg, VA
- Oct., 2009 – 40th Biennial Convention of Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honors Society, Indianapolis, IN
- March, 2009 – Genetics and Genomic Nursing Competencies, University of Virginia School of Nursing
- March, 2009 – Nurses’ Professional Development Day, “Clinical Nurse Scholar at the Bedside”, James Madison University
- Member Fall Faculty/Staff Conference Planning Committee
- Member of Search Committee for Associate Campus Pastor, Spring/Summer 2010
- Member of EMU Writing Committee, 2009-2011
- Basic First Aid presented August 25, 2010, for the EMU Community Assistants
- Assisted with orientation of new nursing faculty, 2010-2011
- Chair of Simulation Committee in the nursing department, 2010-2011