Office Phone: (540) 432-4275
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: SB 230
Office Hours: Most afternoons from 1:00 to 3:00
Professor of Old Testament
Prof Emeritus/Old Testament
“I try to increase appreciation for, and understanding of, the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) as an important part of our Judeo-Christian faith tradition. I encourage people of faith to use passages of scripture and biblical concepts in personal applications, in corporate worship/celebration, and in ethical considerations, as well as in working generally for a just society. I remind people that the story of God at work in the world to create a people pleasing to God, extends from the earliest biblical accounts on into our present era.”
Jim has been teaching Old Testament and Biblical Hebrew at EMS since 1984.
His interest in ARCHAEOLOGY colors his teaching. Before coming to EMU Jim participated in archaeological digs for parts of four summers in Jordan and Israel. A Google search on “pillar figurines, Engle” or “Engle, Asherah” will bring up references to a particular area of Jim’s interest.
Jim is fascinated by ETHIOPIAN languages and society which connects to the ancient Hebrew language and society. His marriage to Peg (Groff) Engle, long-time missionary nurse in Ethiopia. has led to several teaching terms at Meserete Kristos College and to the formation of numerous friendships in Ethiopia.
Jim writes SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSONS. His latest contribution to Adult Bible Study (Uniform Lessons) Menno-Media, appeared in Winter 2011-2012.
Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh/Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, 1979.
B.D., Mennonite Biblical Seminary, 1967.
B.A., Messiah College, 1962.
- Adult Bible Study, Winter 2011-2012, Vol. 76:2 (Uniform Series, International Sunday School Lessons), Menno-Media, Harrisonburg, VA, 2011.
- Adult Bible Study, Winter 2008-2009, Vol. 73:2 (Uniform Series, International Sunday School Lessons), Mennonite Publishing Network, Scottdale, PA, 2008.
- Adult Bible Study, Spring 2006, Vol. 70:3 (Uniform Series, International Sunday School Lessons), Mennonite Publishing Network, Scottdale, PA, 2005.
- Adult Bible Study, Winter 2003-2004, Vol. 69:2 (Uniform Series, International Sunday School Lessons), Mennonite Publishing Network, Scottdale, PA, 2003.
- Adult Bible Study Guide, Fall 1997, Vol. 62:1 (Uniform Series, International Sunday School Lessons), Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, PA, 1997.
- Adult Bible Study Guide, Fall 1996, Vol. 61:1 (Uniform Series, International Sunday School Lessons), Mennonite Publishing House, Scottdale, PA, 1996.
- Basics of Biblical Languages Workbook, 2002 , unpublished, but reproduced for class use at EMS.
- “Archaeology and the Bible,” 5 sessions for Lifelong Learning Institute via James Madison University, Fall 2011.
- “Lessons on Jeremiah,” co-taught with Duane Yoder, series of 6 Wednesday evenings at Lindale Mennonite Church, Fall 2010.
- Sermon: “Reunions, Tombstones …” at Northern Virginia Mennonite Church, 8-13-06.
- Presentations on “Archaeology – Especially from Bible Times,” for Career Day, Shenandoah Valley Adventist Elementary School, 3-3-06.
- Treasurer of MK College Link, a committee supporting Meserete Kristos College in Ethiopia, 2001- .
- Society for Biblical Literature
*Faculty Status Committee 2010-2011
*Seminary Fellowship Committee 2010-2011
- Thesis adviser for M.A. thesis completed 2007.
- Library Director search committee 2006-2007.