Office Phone: (540) 432-4642
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: SC 002
Owen earned a bachelor’s degree in mathematics with secondary certification at Messiah College in Grantham, Pa., and a master’s degree and Ph.D. in mathematics at the University of Delaware. He first taught at Eastern Mennonite in 1991 as a sabbatical replacement while on leave from graduate school, and then returned for a full-time position in 1999. His graduate training is in combinatorics (graph theory, specifically), and he is currently coauthoring a Discrete Math textbook to explain all he knows about the subject! His hobbies include playing basketball, bridge, and watching NFL football. Owen and his wife Barbara were married in January 1990, with son Cameron born in 1998 and daughter Lily in 2001. The family attends Weavers Mennonite Church in Harrisonburg, Va.
Owen is currently chair of EMU’s Mathematical Sciences department and will be serving as President of EMU’s faculty senate in 2014-15.
- B.A. in Mathematics, with secondary education certification, from Messiah College, 1989.
- M.S. and Ph.D. in Mathematics from University of Delaware, 1996, under the direction of Felix Lazebnik. Thesis: Several Results on Extremal (v,e)-graphs.
- Journey into Discrete Mathematics, in progress (undergraduate text, in revision stage)
- Mutually Tangent Spheres in n-space, Math Magazine, April 2015 (joint with Deirdre L. Smeltzer)
- A Guide to Mathematics Competency_, 5th edition, a 100-page text used in EMU’s Foundations of Mathematics course, June 2014, (The first four editions were joint with Deirdre L. Smeltzer)
- A 3-D Analog of Steiner’s Porism, Math Magazine, Volume 87 (April 2014), pp. 95-99. (joint with Deirdre L. Smeltzer)
- Methods for Euclidean Geometry, a 480-page book, Mathematical Association of America, 2010 (joint with Deirdre L. Smeltzer and Felix Lazebnik).
- Exploring Loci in Geometry, Proceedings of the Sixteenth Conference of the ACMS (2007), pp 114-140. (joint with Deirdre L. Smeltzer)
- Edge bounds in nonhamiltonian k-connected graphs, Discrete Mathematics 307 (2007), pp.1572-1579. (joint with Deirdre L. Smeltzer)
- Observations on the Indeterminacy of the Sample Correlation Coefficient, College Mathematics Journal, Volume 33 (September 2002), pp. 320-322.
- Mental Arithmetic, Finding Squares, Mathematics Teacher, Volume 6 (September 2002), page 406.
- Maximum Number of 3-paths in a Graph, ARS Combinatoria, Volume 61 (2001), pp. 73-79.
- Two Path Extremal Graphs and an Application to a Ramsey-type Problem, Discrete Mathematics, Volume 196 (1999), pp. 51-64.
- Some New Bounds on the Maximum Number of Vertex Colorings of a (v,e)-Graph, Journal of Graph Theory, Volume 28 (1998), pp. 115-128.
- Maximum Number of 4-cliques in a 4-partite Graph, Bulletin of ICA, Volume 21 (1997), pp. 27-32.
Church, Community and Professional Service
- Guest lecturer, Eastern Mennonite High School, in Advanced Placement Calculus class, May 2015.
- Director of Harrisonburg Duplicate Bridge Club.
- Reviewer for Math Reviews.
- Chair of Finance Committee, Weavers Mennonite Church.
- Mathematical Association of America
- Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences
- Chair of Mathematical Sciences Department
- Member of Undergraduate Council
- President of Faculty Senate
- President’s Cabinet, Strategic Planning Committee (as Senate president)
- Member of Faculty Status Committee
- Interim Director of Honors Committee
- Guest speaker in EMU Investment class