Requirements for graduation:
Management and organizational development
To graduate from Eastern Mennonite University with a degree in management and organizational development, you must meet general course work requirements, requirements for your major, and university requirements.
General education requirements
- Communications…two courses (minimum of four semester hours)
- Writing – college-level writing, including a research paper.
- Speech – learning and practicing a variety of speech forms.
- Humanities…three courses (minimum of six semester hours)
- From the following disciplines: literature, music, art, history, theater, and philosophy. One course in Western civilization or world history is recommended.
- Mathematics and Natural Science…two courses (minimum of four semester hours)
- One must be a natural science from a discipline such as astronomy, biology, chemistry, geology, oceanography and physics. The second course may also be a natural science or may be a mathematics course. (Computer science courses are not applicable toward the math/natural science requirement.)
- Social Science…one course (minimum of two semester hours)
- From one of the following disciplines: economics, political science, psychology, sociology.
- Cross-Cultural Studies…one course (minimum of two semester hours)
- Courses which satisfy this requirement include the following: foreign language study, non-Western history or literature, cultural anthropology, and courses which analyze issues such as discrimination and social problems within the United States.
A list of courses, which can be taken at local community colleges to satisfy General Education requirements, is available from the program representative or the assessment counselor. A selection of accelerated, evening courses designed to meet general education requirements (or may be taken as electives) for adult students are also available through EMU. Consult the program representative or assessment counselor for more information.
Requirements for major
You must successfully complete the curriculum for the management and organizational development major38 semester hours.
- You must successfully complete 124 semester hours.
- You must enter the Adult Degree Completion Program with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average and maintain a GPA of 2.0 (“C”).
Individualized academic plan
You will transfer at least 60 semester hours of credit from accredited community colleges or four-year institutions. Thirty-eight credits are earned through EMU’s program. You must complete 124 semester hours of credit, including general education requirements, to graduate. The assessment counselor works with students to develop an individualized academic plan. This plan considers the number of credits and types of courses you transferred into the program, your educational interests and goals, and events from which you have experienced college-level learning. A portfolio which documents professional schools and training in addition to life-learning experiences may be submitted to EMU faculty for evaluation and awarding of credit.
Some students choose to take additional course work. They may be taken at EMU or other approved educational institutions. Telecourses and independent study courses or correspondence courses may be transferred, if you received prior approval for the course. College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Defense Activity for Nontraditional Students (DANTES) testing is also an alternative for obtaining additional credit.
Eastern Mennonite University reserves the right to change this program without prior notice in accordance with established procedures. This informational web page is descriptive and is not construed as a legal contract.