“Conflict from Above: The Drive for Accumulation” Dr. Walter Brueggemann

& School for Leadership Training.

Does a day go by without some thought or conversation about money? The economic climate? The lack of funds for a congregational program or project? The juggling act with personal bills? The search for wisdom about how to be good stewards of what we do have?

Walter Brueggemann offers the first of three plenary address for the 2012 School for Leadership Training.  Brueggemann uses Pharaoh as a model and metaphor for the drive to accumulate. It is a drive borne in anxiety that issues in the destruction of the neighborhood and the normalization of violence in society.

The 2012 theme for School for Leadership Training seeks to engage church and business leaders in an exploration of such questions and to plumb the wisdom of those living with possible answers. This school intentionally invites us to look deeply at how our handling of money flows out of or impacts our faith.  Walter Brueggemann’s evening keynote addresses give us scriptural footing for our explorations.

This event is co-sponsored by Eastern Mennonite Seminary, EMU’s department of business and economics, and Everence.

One Response to ““Conflict from Above: The Drive for Accumulation” Dr. Walter Brueggemann”

1. Jonathan Charles

I did not attend but I listened to all of Walter Bruggeman messages. I heartily agree with everything he said. I believe whole heartedly there is a powerful economic mandate to our Christian Gospel with the spiritual mandate. But sadly the discourse made me feel like I was back on the secular campus of my collage days during the Vietnam war. Teachers loved to teach with loaded, critical, political, sometimes vulgar language full of protest with very little invitation to something better. That experience made me appreciate my little country Mennonite Church where the people simply lived the Bruggeman appeal without the language. This is why I gratefully sent our three sons to EMU as an oasis in the desert compared with the secular college which I experienced.
    The strength of the Mennonite Church is that we are all about invitation, recognizing no political power as the answer to the Kingdom, leadership has poured themselves out in mission and relief for generations. Our own little country church is largely immigrants with refugee status. A congregation of the poor and voluntarily poor as we live our lives for each other. I believe the kingdom is a lived reality and not an art form, an academic construct, or a criticism of “god dam” banks” and a political party.