Eastern Mennonite University (EMU) is inviting Virginia resident students to discover the educational opportunities available in their own back yard.
EMU is among 25 schools participating in the 16th annual Virginia Private College Week, July 30 – August 4, 2012, sponsored by the Virginia College Savings Plan.
Visit three, apply for free
Rising high school juniors (class of 2014) and seniors (class of 2013) who visit three Virginia private colleges July 30 – August 4 will receive application fee waivers redeemable at any three private colleges in Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia (CICV).
EMU will offer a campus tour and information sessions about admissions, financial aid and academic programs.
On Monday-Friday (July 30 – August 4), there will be a morning (9 a.m.) and afternoon (2 p.m.) session. On Saturday, August 4, there will be a morning (9 a.m.) session only.
Campus visit important step in college search
“Visiting campuses in person is one of the most important steps in the college search process,” said Robert Lambeth, CICV president.
CICV was founded in 1971 to promote the interests of nonprofit, independent higher education in Virginia. The Council was also instrumental in starting the state’s TAG program.
“I encourage parents to explore which college will be the best fit for their son or daughter, and I want to reassure them that a quality education at a Virginia private college is affordable and within reach.”
How to participate
1. Decide which colleges you would like to visit.
2. You don’t need to register for the event, but we strongly recommend that you contact the colleges you plan to visit.
3. Organize your travel plans. Driving directions are available on individual college web sites. This is not an organized bus tour.
4. Pick up a passport at the first college you visit.
5. At the end of each tour, the college will stamp the same passport.
6. Mail your passport to CICV (stamped by at least 3 colleges) to receive 3 application fee waivers.
7. You may use the application fee waivers at any CICV college or university–not necessarily the ones you visited.
For more information on Virginia Private College Week, contact the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia at 540-586-0606 or visit the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia (CICV) website.
The admissions office at EMU can also provide details at 1-800-368-2665 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.