Language & Literature Department Welcomes New Students

Caleb Schrock-Hurst is a junior transfer from Heston. He majors in English and describes his interest in literature during his interview.  Angel Mallard is also a junior with a double major in English and Communications. She describes how the combination of the two majors will be beneficial in the future. On the other hand, Anastasia is a first-year Spanish major, and she speaks about her interest in practicing medicine in a Spanish community.

How Caleb Schrock-Hurst came to be a part of Lang & Litfullsizerender-32

Why did you choose a major in this department?

I chose to be an English major because I have always loved English and think writing skills are increasingly important in a world where information is at everyone’s fingertips. Being able to synthesize and understand literature is both enjoyable and important.

What part of your major are you most excited about?

I am most excited to learn about other cultures and history through literature. The true marks of an age and culture are its writings.

What kinds of classes do you hope to take?

I hope to take a lot of literature classes and also writing classes. I have already done a bit of work in news writing but would love to dive deeper into creative writing. I am specifically interested in writing poetry.

What are your plans after college graduation?

After college, I’d like to get a job and pay off some of my college debt and then hopefully get a job teaching English with the Mennonite Central Committee.

How Angel Mallard came to be a part of Lang & Lit

Why did you choose this major?fullsizerender

I chose to be an English major because I realized that many of my classes fulfill credits for the major. I am also a communications major so I feel that English will  help me with my speaking and writing skills.

What part of the major are you most excited about?

I am most excited about taking poetry and literature classes. I would like to try writing poetry and observing poetry from different countries. I also want to read literature from different culture, especially African cultures.

After college, I might go back to Kenya and spend a couple years making films there. I have also applied to Vancouver Film School to study film and acting for 1-2 years. I might come back to EMU and pursue my master’s afterwards.

How Anastasia Dronov came to be part of Lang & Lit

20160922_090905-3Why did you choose a major in this department?

I decided to be a double major to follow my dream to be a medical doctor as well as cultivate my passion for Spanish. My dream job would be to practice in an underprivileged Spanish-speaking community.

I am most excited about any and all types of immersion into the Spanish language and culture. I cannot wait for the cross-cultural!

I want to take classes that will help me understand different customs and implicitly understood social actions. Walking in others’ shoes puts my shoes into perspective.

In the future, I hope to attend graduate school and use my position in the medical field to  connect with cultures as I work towards a MD. 

img_6982-4 Yordanos Tesfa is a sophomore English and Writing Studies major. She has been interested in English ever since her 5th grade Language Arts teacher told her that she did great at reading and writing. She has been working on writing books and originally dreamed of becoming a writer. Now she would like to become an editor because she enjoys looking at other writers’ work and helping them strengthen it.