Minutes ISPC Meeting, 26 OCT 2012 [DRAFT]

Eastern Mennonite University
Information Systems Planning Committee
October 26, 2012
Meeting #1 [DRAFT]

Present:  Fred Kniss, Jenni Piper, Jack Rutt, Audrey Shenk, Walt Surratt, Ben Beachy, Christian Early, Dee Weikle, Jacob Bontrager-Singer

Absent: Sandy Brownscombe

Agenda:

1. Review of previous meeting’s minutes

1)      [20111208.A] Action: InfoSys management will draft a brief addition to our existing policies to address non-emu.edu domain names for review along with those policies in April 2012. Completed

2)      [20111208.B] Action: Ben Beachy will research the possibility of automatic major and minor lists. Abandoned

3)      [20111208.C] Action: Jason Alderfer will continue implementation of more granular lists. Abandoned

4)      [20111208.D] Action: Information systems will contact peer institutions and ask how they are addressing use of consumer cloud services and managing user access on laptops. Completed. The proposed policy changes are under review.

5)      [20121026.A] Action: Add Moodle to the list of specified photo uses.

6)      [20121026.B] Action: Jenni will take the discussion of overhead projectors and multiple screens to the committee for classroom technology and distance education.

Resolution: Minutes from the 2012-04-16 meeting were unanimously accepted as amended.

2. Review previous meetings’ action items:

Resolution: Action items 20111208.A has been completed.

Regarding Action items 20111208.B and 20111208.C: Dee registered her preference for an opt-out system; Fred echoed this preference. Jacob suggested sending email notices informing students of their inclusion in lists. Christian noted that this creates another place he has to check content; Jack echoed this and added his preference to receive updates in his email client. Jacob and Christian asked about single-sign on capability. Dee mentioned that changing systems will require retraining users.

Resolution: Action items 20111208.B and 20111208.C have been abandoned (with some trepidation).

Regarding Action item 20111208.D: The group discussed the phrasing and identified particular concerns with the definition of confidential data. Information Systems will revise the policy statement to clarify this and link to a more expansive definition within the Help Zone.

Resolution: Action item 20111208.D has been referred back to InfoSys for clarification and examples of confidential data.

3. Review draft ID card pictures procedure (Jack)

Jack summarized a proposed statement of intended use for ID card photographs: students sit for photos with the understanding that their ID card photos are used for only identification purposes. Dee suggested adding more levels of photo permissions: e.g. allowing students to show photos in Moodle but not in the web directory. Jack noted that Marketing has a system for tracking public use of photographs.

Dee also suggested adding Moodle to the list of specified photo uses.

Action: Add Moodle to the list of specified photo uses.

Resolution: The committee unanimously endorsed the procedure as presented and amended.

4. Overhead and slide projectors end-of-life (Jenni)

At present only one instructor uses a slide projector and we can digitize academic slides.

Regarding overhead projectors: Dee noted that she often has a need for dual screens: e.g. to display code and output simultaneously. Jacob said that students perceive overhead projectors as obsolete technology and a negative factor in classes.

Fred suggested bringing the discussion to the committee for classroom technology and distance education.

Action: Jenni will take the discussion of overhead projectors and multiple screens to the committee for classroom technology and distance education.

Resolution: The committee unanimously endorsed ending provision slide projectors within the next two years. No action was taken regarding overhead projectors.

5. June 2012 re-prioritization of wireless in classrooms (Jack)

Jack described our budget reconfiguration that allowed us to put wireless in all the classrooms.

Fred suggested that within a few years we will want to implement ubiquitous campus wireless.

Resolution: No resolution necessary.

6. Projects 2012-13 (Jack)

Jack summarized a report about Information Systems projects for 2012-13. See the supplemental meeting materials for details.

Resolution: No resolution necessary.

7. EMU online education technology research by Brian Gumm (Jack)

Jack summarized Brian Gumm’s work on educational technology systems. See the supplemental meeting materials for details.

Christian affirmed the importance of online courses for educating church leaders in the global south.

Many members expressed interest in the way MOOCs and flipped classrooms can change education.

Resolution: No resolution necessary.

The meeting adjourned at 4:47 P.M.

Submitted by Ben Beachy

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *