Exercise! Say what?!

& Uncategorized.

Exercise is a journey, not a destination. -Unknown Author

Raise your hand if you exercise. Now hold it up over your head for a minute, see if you can…Come on, just try it, what will (another) one minute of exercise hurt after a 24 hour day?  You may be rushing through this blog entry because you have somewhere to be, if that’s the case, sorry, I’ll try and keep it short! Also if that is the case, is that how an average day goes for you? You hurry, hurry, hurry everywhere and frequently arrive late and feel like you have NO time to finish anything!  It seems as if most college students could relate to this I think…

Let me ask you one more question, how much time per day do you spend on Facebook? Twitter? Myspace (anybody anymore?) How about watching movies or catching up on TV shows?  It’s nuts!  I was thinking this morning about how I literally [yesterday] spent most of my free time on my computer.  Granted, I was doing quite a bit of homework, but I also watched two TV shows that I missed (Gossip Girl and The Voice).  Then I felt kind of discouraged because all I did that was active yesterday was walk my two pound poodle in which his sprint is the speed of my dawdle…So…not much of anything.

I am the type who used to go to the gym regularly…like 6 days a week regular with 45 minutes to an hour on the treadmill of eliptical, now, as a senior, I feel like I’d be embarrassed to hop back on one of those things because it’s been so long and I don’t want to die in front of other people (though that would be better than alone.)  My husband and I did insanity this past summer and it was truly insane…it was like the best thing ever though and we felt so amazing after we completed it. And then what happened? We felt so accomplished (I should speak for myself…) that I took a week off…and then another week, and another, and another, etc. And now I’m right back where I started.  I am declaring right now that I am going to restart the insanity program and be accountable to all of you who read this! When I go home today I am going to do it, and not sweat about it (no pun intended.)

I’m wondering what it would look like if we each sacrificed one computer session, TV show, or one extra hour of sleep (for those of us who actually have sleep time to spare…anyone?) in exchange for a 45 minute-1 hour workout session?  Or even if while we are catching up on our favorite TV we get down on the flower and do a few sets of push-ups and sit-ups, or even just start with a stretch.

Here’s some stuff to consider:

• BLT Sandwich-437 k cal=45 mins tae bo
  • Mozzarella, Tomato & Pesto Panni-457 kcal=1 hour and 15 minutes hill walking
  • Quarter Pounder with Cheese McDonalds-515 kcal =1 hour and 20 minutes of cross training
  • Pepperoni Pizza, Dominos (1 Slice)-198 kcal= 28 minutes of boxing

Check this website out for more!: http://www.dietandfitnessresources.co.uk/fitness_exercise/activities-to-burn-calories.htm