Guatemala – an amazing experience

Guatemala/Mexico 2

It’s crazy to think that I have been in Guatemala for a week. For it seems like just yesterday I was saying goodbye to all my friends and family, boarding the bus and getting on the plane to spend my semester in Guatemala and Mexico. My time here has definitely been a different experience, but an amazing one.

I live with a family that is extremely extroverted, they love to sing, dance, and do so many different things. I tend to be more shy and an introvert, so at times it can be overwhelming, but I wouldn’t change it in a heartbeat!

This week we had a guest speaker who came to talk to us about Guatemala’s history. It was really interesting to learn about. We learned that 10% of the population owns 86% of the land, and that they only ended their civil war in 1996. We also visited the National Cemetery and the landfill. Learning about the landfill was really something. I could picture the landfill in my mind but to actually see it in person was truly amazing.  And to think that people actually pay to go into the landfill so they can look for material to make money.  After seeing people in the landfill looking for things, it really made me appreciate what I have at home.

On Wednesday this week was my birthday, so I’m not going to lie, I was a little homesick.  It was hard not being able to call and talk to my family but my family here definitely made up for that.  They didn’t even know me for a week and they had a party for me.  I was truly blessed and touched to have them.  I am really looking forward to the rest of my time here. Learning about this culture and actually being a part of it is going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Hannah Artz