First impressions of India

Week 1It’s pretty hard for me to believe that I have only been in India for one week. It seems so much longer ago that we all said our goodbyes and boarded the bus at EMU. In that week so much has happened!

I have seen the awesome beauty of some of the world’s most magnificent buildings, the Taj Mahal and the Agra fort. I have watched countless brilliantly colored prayer flags blow in the wind at Buddhist temples. I have witnessed an energetic Hindu ceremony dedicated to the Mother Ganges from a boat on the Ganges itself. These sights have all been awesome and exciting, but I’ve also seen less pleasant sights.

I have seen poverty and hunger. I have felt a begging child’s hand tapping my sleeve. I have seen run-down huts and people sleeping on the streets. I have really come to realize how blessed I truly am and how much I have taken for granted.

Sari Shopping India is beautiful, hospitable, and interesting and I am learning so much about not only this culture but I’m also learning about myself! I can’t wait to see what else this trip has in store for me with learning more about the language and religions, interacting with the people, and continuing to grow closer to this group of students that is quickly becoming a family.