MA in Education: Curriculum & Instruction
This component of EMU’s MA in education program provides a course of study for elementary, middle or high school practitioners to enhance existing skills and meet the challenges found in today’s schools.
Emphasis is placed upon adapting and designing curriculum for diverse populations, designing integrated interdisciplinary instruction, upgrading professional knowledge in recent research in current issues, teaming with school and community professionals and enhancing specific professional and concentration area competencies.
Participants may choose one of three routes toward completion of this concentration area:
- elementary school emphasis
- middle school emphasis
- high school emphasis
Curriculum & Instruction Curriculum and Course Plan
NOTE: Course requirements may change as the program evolves. Candidates are accountable for completing the program of study listed in the catalog for the year in which they entered the program.
Learn more about the core curriculum of EMU’s master of arts in education.
A. Program Core (12 hrs.)
[Early in program]
- EDCC 501 Creating Cultures of Change: Constructivist Environments (3 hrs.)
- EDCC 521 Peacebuilding & Conflict Resolution (3 hrs.)
- EDCC 531 Social & Ethical Issues in Education (3 hrs.)
[Later in program]
- EDCC 551 Action Research in Educational Settings (3 hrs.) (Prerequisite: Admission to Candidacy)
B. Concentration Area (15 hrs. required + 6 hrs. electives = 21 hrs.)
- EDCI 501 Curriculum and Instructional Strategies (3 hrs.)
- EDCI 511 Teaming and Collaboration (3 hrs.)
- EDCI 561 Neuro-education: Application of Research on the Brain and Learning (3 hrs.)
- EDDA 511 Teaching Diverse Learners (3 hrs.)
- Emphasis Area Elective: One of the following literacy courses is recommended:
Elementary: EDLA 501 Foundations of Literacy (3 hrs.)
Middle and High: EDLA 521 Integrated Literacy Instruction (3 hrs.)
- Electives- (6 hrs.) chosen from other MA in Education concentrations
C. Reflective Practice (3 hrs.)
- EDPC 611 Action Research Project: Elementary, Middle or High School (3 hrs.)