Application Criteria and Process
A complete application should contain:
- A completed Master of Arts in Counseling application
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.00.
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended.
Foreign Degree Translation- If you have a degree from a college or university outside of the United States, you must have your coursework evaluated by a professional association. The evaluation must be a detailed report including course designations (lower & upper division) in the report. This detailed report should meet most transcript requirements for employment purposes. Here is a list of transcript/translation evaluation services. Please note that there is a fee for the evaluation service, and this list is for your information only.
- Three letters of reference (at least two of which must be academic).
- Statement of purpose : write a narrative (1-3 pages) that describes your:
- academic/research interest and professional goals
- volunteer and professional experiences
- life experiences that have influenced your view of compassionate service and social justice.
- In addition to the requirements above, international applicants should submit the
- Nationality and country of birth (international applicants currently residing in the United States must indicate status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- A completed International Student Sponsor Agreement. Please contact Amanda Williams at 540-432-4243 or firstname.lastname@example.org for form and current costs.
- For applicants whose native language is not English:
We require that applicants receive at least a 79 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), this compares to a 550 on the paper-based test and a score of 213 for the computer-based test. EMU’s institutional code is 5181. Applicants who have studied and received a degree from a college or university where all instruction is in English are not required to submit TOEFL scores).
Admissions timeline 2018
Applications for the 2018/2019 cohort is now closed. Please contact Amanda Williams at email@example.com for further information.
Notification of Interview: TBA
Interview Day: TBA
Admissions Interview Process
To help both the candidate and the program discern fit and readiness, we have developed an admissions interview procedure that involves applicants, faculty members and current students in an intensive sample experience of the training program. We invite current students to participate in this process each year by volunteering to provide applicants with helpful information and support.
How We Notify You of the Decision
All applicants are notified of admission decision within one week after interview day. An official decision letter will be mailed to your address.
If You Are Accepted
If you are offered admission, you must notify the Master of Arts in Counseling Administrative Assistant of your enrollment decision by email or mail within 15 days of your receipt of the acceptance letter. If we do not hear back from you by then, we will assume that you have declined the offer of admission, and your application record will be withdrawn.
Deferral of Admission
Applicants who are notified of admission, have the option to defer their enrollment for one year. Those considering deferment are asked to counsel with the Director as well as complete an application for deferment form.