Jonathan Nofziger '11
"A liberal arts education prepared me for the job that was available without limiting me to only the job I was trained to do. "- Nofziger manages the daily operation of clinical laboratories at several locations that are part of the Partnership for Research on Ebola Virus in Liberia.
The departments of chemistry and biology cooperate in offering students the option of concentrating their studies on this dynamic field by majoring in biochemistry. This rigorous program is geared towards giving students a fundamental knowledge in the molecular basis of biological processes.
Students take coursework involving a combination of chemistry and biology courses, culminating in a two-semester advanced biochemistry series, and including a research laboratory experience.
Students may compete for Kauffman-Miller Research Awards, up to for $2500 for summer research supervised by EMU faculty.
Recent graduates of EMU’s biochemistry program are enrolled in medical schools or in graduate programs, or are working in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Prospective students may be eligible for the EMU STEM Scholars Engaging in Local Problems (SSELP) grant, up to $10,000. Learn more about departmental scholarships.
- EMU has offered close to $1 million in academic merit scholarships collectively to students with outstanding academic achievement.
- Academic scholarships range from $12,000 to $20,000 per year and are renewable for four years depending on academic performance.
- EMU students are eligible for Pell Grants and Federal Need-Based Grants as well as student loans.
- Virginia students may be eligible for a Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG).
- Learn more by contacting EMU's Financial Assistance Office or checking out our cost of attendance calculator.