Erik Peachey, Riley Kingsley and Austin Tomlin '19
Erik Peachey, Riley Kingsley and Austin Tomlin earned graduate assistantships to attend James Madison University's MS in Accounting program in the fall.
Ashley Hevener '10
Hevener is at Kearney & Company, an accounting firm in Alexandria, Virginia, that serves the federal government. She manages six auditing projects for which she travels extensively, working with up to 50 clients in any given year.
An accounting major can prepare you for a wide variety of careers in business. Whether you are interested in a career in public accounting, business management, finance or any number of other business opportunities, as an accounting major at EMU you will challenge yourself and thrive as you gain the accounting skills you need to succeed.
- Step out into a cross-cultural setting
- Take a closer look at sustainability and stewardship in decision-making
- Collaborate on original research with faculty with industry experience
- Learn by doing in off-campus internships
- Understand and lead others in teams, honing communication and financial skills
- Learn from professors who’ve lived and worked internationally – and who will invest time in you
Add a concentration in finance to prepare for careers in banking, investment and financial analysis.
- Real-world internships in local accounting firms will give you an opportunity to put what you learn in the classroom into practice.
- Students regularly attend the Mennonite Economic Development Association convention and participate in the case competition.
- Strengthen the local community through the student-run investment club, which shares earnings with local community organizations and charities.
- Seniors who apply for the MS in Accounting program at James Madison University will have the GMAT requirement waived.
EMU students ranked second in Virginia for first-time pass rate on all sections of the CPA exam. EMU students had a first-time pass rate of 72.2%, well-above the national average of 49.8%.
Accountant Accounting manager Accounting professor Accounts payable specialist Assistant director of Business & Finance, JMU Business owner Certified financial planner practitioner Certified public accountant CFO Chief financial officer and risk manager Company president Controller Corporate accounting manager Credit supervisor Credit union management Director of financial resources Director of financial services Director of finance/controller Director of internal auditing EFT supervisor, fraud & plastics specialist Executive director Federal auditor Financial advisor Financial analysis consultant Global client outreach manager Junior accountant Manager Managing agent Network engineer Operations director Pricing actuary Principal and CFO Programmer Regulator Reimbursement coordinator Retirement plan specialist Senior accountant Senior financial analyst Senior manager for tax compliance Senior tax associate Staff accountant Supervising senior CPA Tax senior Treasurer Vice president for finance Vice president/CPA
American Century Mutual Funds
August Mutual Insurance
Bombergers Store Inc
Bridge of Hope
Bridgewater Retirement Community
Cherry Bekaert LLP
Clark & Bradshaw, PC
Dana Holding Corporation
Design Tech. & Skyline Design Constr.
Dominion Computer Systems Inc
Elliott, Martin, Beachy & Mitchell PLLC
Ernst & Young LLP
Detweiler Hershey & Associates, PC
Franconia Insurance and Financial Services
Good Shepherd Rehab
Grand View Hospital
Hantzmon Wiebel LLP
Horizon Accountants/ Halieus Investment Advis
Hot Off the Press
InterChange Group Inc.
James Madison University
James T Brems PC
Kearney & Company
Life Care Centers of America, Inc.
M J Miller & Co
Martin, Beachy, and Arehart CPA's
McGladrey and Pullen LLP
Mooretown Brethren in Christ Church
Morningstar Foods Inc
Myers Building Contractors
Padden, Guerrini & Associates PC
Park View Federal Credit Union
Penn Virginia Corporation
Adams, Brown, Beran & Ball, Chartered
Crowe, Chizek & Co.
Eastern Mennonite Missions
Ginoli & Co, CPAs
Hayden, Miller & Nelson PC
J&H Construction Co.
Lousiville Baptist Academy
Priority Property Management LLC
RGA Reinsurance Company
Seitz & Leatherman LLC
Showalter & Miller CPA's
Southern Virginia Regional Medical Center
Stauffer & Co, CPA's
Sun Life Financial
Swartley Brothers Engineers
Swartz Enterprises Inc
Ten Thousand Villages
Truck Enterprises Inc
United Zion Retirement Community
Univ of Virginia Community Credit Union
Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community
- Nearly 100% of undergrads receive financial aid
- The average assistance package is over $30,000
- Over $14 million in aid was awarded by EMU in 2017-18
Financial aid packages often include: