Ashley Hevener '10
Hevener is at Kearney & Company, an accounting firm in Alexandria, Virginia, that serves the federal government. She manages six auditing projects for which she travels extensively, working with up to 50 clients in any given year.
Austin Sachs '18
Senior Austin Sachs won a scholarship from the Virginia Skyline Chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants and the Blue Ridge Chapter of the Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants.
An accounting major can prepare you for a wide-variety of careers in business. Whether you are interested in a career in public accounting, business management, finance or any number of other business opportunities, the accounting major at EMU will give you skills and practice you need to succeed.
At EMU you’ll:
- study in a cross-cultural setting
- consider sustainability and stewardship in decision-making
- collaborate on original research with faculty with industry experience
- put your classroom learning to use in off campus internships
- learn to work effectively in teams and hone communication and financial skills
- learn from professors who’ve lived and worked internationally
- Internships in local accounting firms give students an opportunity to put what they have learned in the classroom into practice in the real world.
- Students regularly attend the Mennonite Economic Development Association convention and participate in the case competition.
- The student-run investment club shares earnings with local community organizations and charities.
EMU students ranked second in Virginia for first-time pass rate on all sections of the CPA Exam. EMU students had a first time pass rate of 72.2%, well-above the national average of 49.8%
Accountant Accounting Manager Accounting Professor Accounts Payable Specialist Ass't Dir of Business & Finance, JMU Business Owner Certified Financial Planner Practitioner Certified Public Accountant CFO Chief Financial Officer and Risk Manager Company President Controller Corporate Accounting Manager Credit Supervisor Credit Union Management Dir of Financial Resources Dir of Financial Services Director of Finance/Controller Director of Internal Auditing EFT Supr, Fraud & Plastics Specialist Executive Director Federal Auditor Financial Advisor Financial Analysis Consultant Global Client Outreach Manager Jr Accountant Manager Managing Agent Network Engineer Operations Director Pricing Actuary Principal and CFO Programmer Regulator Reimbursement Coordinator Retirement Plan Specialist Senior Accountant Senior Financial Analyst Senior Manager Tax Compliance Senior Tax Associate Staff Accountant Supervising Senior CPA Tax Senior Treasurer Vice President for Finance Vice President/CPA
American Century Mutual Funds
August Mutual Insurance
Bombergers Store Inc
Bridge of Hope
Bridgewater Retirement Community
Cherry Bekaert LLP
Clark & Bradshaw, PC
Dana Holding Corporation
Design Tech. & Skyline Design Constr.
Dominion Computer Systems Inc
Eastern Mennonite University
Elliott, Martin, Beachy & Mitchell PLLC
Ernst & Young LLP
Detweiler Hershey & Associates, PC
Franconia Insurance and Financial Services
Good Shepherd Rehab
Grand View Hospital
Hantzmon Wiebel LLP
Horizon Accountants/ Halieus Investment Advis
Hot Off the Press
InterChange Group Inc.
James Madison University
James T Brems PC
Kearney & Company
Life Care Centers of America, Inc.
M J Miller & Co
Martin, Beachy, and Arehart CPA's
McGladrey and Pullen LLP
Mooretown Brethren in Christ Church
Morningstar Foods Inc
Myers Building Contractors
Padden, Guerrini & Associates PC
Park View Federal Credit Union
Penn Virginia Corporation
Adams, Brown, Beran & Ball, Chartered
Crowe, Chizek & Co.
Eastern Mennonite Missions
Ginoli & Co, CPAs
Hayden, Miller & Nelson PC
J&H Construction Co.
Lousiville Baptist Academy
Priority Property Management LLC
RGA Reinsurance Company
Seitz & Leatherman LLC
Showalter & Miller CPA's
Southern Virginia Regional Medical Center
Stauffer & Co, CPA's
Sun Life Financial
Swartley Brothers Engineers
Swartz Enterprises Inc
Ten Thousand Villages
Truck Enterprises Inc
United Zion Retirement Community
Univ of Virginia Community Credit Union
Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community
- Nearly 100% of undergrads receive financial aid
- The average assistance package is over $30,000
- Over $14 million in aid was awarded by EMU in 2017-18
Financial aid packages often include: