Getting Your I-20 and Obtaining a Visa
An I-20 is the form that EMU produces which allows the student to apply for a visa at a U.S. Embassy. Before EMU can issue the I-20, the student must take the following steps:
- Complete the admissions application file and receive an offer of admission from the university. See our application checklist for more details on required documents and information.
- Apply for the international scholarship.
- Complete the financial certification form and provide supporting documents such as bank statements and letters of sponsorship, if application.
- Pay half of the first semester’s total charge. This includes tuition, student activity fee, health insurance and room and meals charge, if applicable.
What to bring to your visa interview
The student should bring the following documents to the visa interview:
- Form I-20
- Receipt of SEVIS payment
- Acceptance letter
- Offer of financial aid
- Financial documents which prove the student’s ability to support his or her self while in the U.S.
- Evidence that the student intends to return to his or her home country upon completion of his or her studies (information about family members who live in the home country, property owned, etc.)
- Academic transcripts and test scores
The student should also be prepared to describe his or her career goals and why he or she chose Eastern Mennonite University.