“EMU helped me grow in ways I never thought possible. Without the hands-on experiences I got I would not have realized my passions for directing and improvisation.”
While a student, theater major Matt Pearson (class of 2008):
- acted and directed in numerous mainstage productions
- founded the Gonzo Theater improv troupe still going strong today
- interned with the Second City’s Comedy Studies Program in Chicago
- interned with the Washington Improv Theater in nearby D.C.
Careers in Theater
Recent EMU graduates are working as stage designers, technicians, directors, and actors.
Possible theater careers
- acting (stage, television and film)
- directing, playwriting
- design (scenic, costume, lighting and sound)
- theater administration
- drama ministry
- drama therapy
- theater for young audiences
- children’s theater
- technical theater
- conflict transformation
- theater scholarship
- theater education
Internships and practicums
While at EMU, students may take advantage of our strong Washington Community Scholars’ Center, the university’s residential seminar and internship program in the nation’s capitol.
EMU Theater students are thus afforded the exciting opportunity to engage in internships and advanced theater study with professional companies in one of our country’s premier theater communities.
Current grads in the field
Our graduates are active in professional fields such as acting, theater administration, and drama ministry, a breadth of interest also embraced by the department’s current students.
At EMU, the commitment to developing, sharing and employing our work and gifts is absolute.