Explorers II—This is an exploratory program designed for second and third grade students who have completed Explorers I. Explorers II builds on previous concepts and builds on ear training, more advanced sight singing(*solfege), melodic and rhythm reading. Instruction is an active experience, combining cognitive, aural, oral, and motor skills. Instruction is active and game-oriented.
*Solfege is a technique for the teaching of sight-singing in which each note of the score is sung to a special syllable, called a solfege syllable. Each solfege syllable has a handsign that goes with it. These handsigns add physical and visual cues to what’s going on in your ear and voice.
Instructor: Joy Anderson.
Class Information 2016-17
- Explorers II tuition is $260 ($130/semester). Please make checks payable to EMU/SVCC. We accept VISA and MasterCard.
- Class size: up to 22 students.
- Classes meet once a week for 40 minutes for 10 weeks during the Fall semester and Spring semester.
- Students will have weekly homework to reinforce what was learned in class.
- All classes meet at Eastern Mennonite University, Seminary Building, room 203.
- Class time: 6:40-7:20 p.m. Please arrive 5-10 minutes early for homework review.
- Fall semester dates are: September 19, 26; October 3, 10, 17, 23, 31; November 7, 14, 21.
- Spring semester dares are: January 9, 16, 23, 30; February 6, 13, 20, 27; March 13, 20.
- Download Explorers registration form and mail it to SVCC, 1200 Park Rd., Harrisonburg, VA 22802.
Contact Kris Shank Zehr at (540) 432-4667 or by email .