Explorers I—A beginning music exploratory program, Explorers I is designed for kindergarten and first grade students (kindergartners accepted with instructor permission). This class focuses on the fundamentals of music—ear training, healthy singing, intonation, reading music, singing in parts, beat-keeping, *Solfege, rhythm reading, focus, concentration, and improvisation. Explorers I is an active learning environment, engaging students’ motor, oral, aural, and cognitive skills. Instruction is active and game-oriented. This is a non-auditioned, non-performing group.
*Solfege is a technique for the teaching of sight-singing in which each note of the score is sung to a special syllable, called a solfege syllable. Each solfege syllable has a handsign that goes with it. These handsigns add physical and visual cues to what’s going on in your ear and voice.
Instructor: Joy Anderson.
Class Information 2015-16
- Explorers I tuition is $250 ($125/semester). Please make checks payable to EMU/SVCC. We accept VISA and MasterCard.
- Class size: up to 22 students.
- Classes meet once a week for 40 minutes for 10 weeks during the Fall semester and 10 weeks during the Spring semester.
- Students will have weekly homework to reinforce what was learned in class.
- All classes meet at Eastern Mennonite University, Seminary Building, room 203.
- Class time: 5:50-6:30 p.m. Please arrive 5-10 minutes early for homework review.
- Fall semester dates are: September 21, 28; October 5, 12, 19, 26, November 2, 9, 16, 23.
- Spring semester dates are: January 11, 18, 25, February 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; March 7, 14.
- Download undefined method `filename’ for nil:NilClassand mail it to SVCC, 1200 Park Rd., Harrisonburg, VA 22802.
Contact Kris Shank Zehr at (540) 432-4667 or by e-mail