I. Scheduling An Event
Any EMU person, organization or department is welcome to make use of Common Grounds for an event during the Fall or Spring Semester while classes are in session. An event must first be requested by filling out and submitting an Event Request Form at least 2 weeks prior to the event. Each request will be reviewed by the Events Manager and the contact person will be responded to promptly. Common Grounds reserves the right to refuse any event submitted with less than 2 weeks notice or that cannot be adequately supported.
And remember…Wednesday nights are “open” nights with no scheduled events. So come on down for a night of uninterrupted studying, hanging out, or relaxation.
II. Events During Closed Hours
Any campus group wishing to hold a special event in Common Grounds during non-operating hours will be charged $20/hour for additional staffing and operations.
III. Event Cancellation
Common Grounds is a highly sought after space for activities and organizations. Anyone who schedules the space for use is asked to do so only after the time, date and setup logistics have been determined. “Last minute” changes or cancellations impact not only the operations of Common Grounds, but also other groups interested in using the space.
An activity that is canceled, or altered in time or date, within 2 weeks of the event, will result in the group being charged up to a $20 fee, at the discretion of the Events Manager. In addition, any supplies or food purchased to support the event will be invoiced to the reserving party for payment.
IV. Outside Food
Common Grounds recognizes itself as a legitimate business and views any food brought in location for special events as a form of competition. An organization wanting to provide food for its event has three options:
- Purchase the food from our Menu
- Purchase the food from our Catering menu
- Provide their own food, but group will be charged a $30 fee
V. Candles and Open Flames
An open flame or candle poses a serious risk to the safety of both the public and the building, and is therefore generally prohibited in Common Grounds. For specified events, the limited use of candles is allowable, given the following criteria:
- The Program Manager is notified ahead of time on the Event Request Form. If adequate notice is not given, Common Grounds reserves the right to refuse the use of any candle or open flame.
- Common Grounds provides both the candle and the container.
- Common Grounds determines the area and sets it up: outside the flow of traffic, not on the platform, & on a sturdy table.
- Candles are only lit for a specific time-frame associated with an event, and are never left unattended or used as general ambiance.
- Extinguished candles are returned to the Common Grounds staff at the conclusion of the event.