Purpose: growing to understand one’s calling
Each suggested gathering has been planned for a purpose. Every activity, topic, choice of reading, and exercise is thoughtfully placed to help move the participant through the three stages of call so that they are able to take the steps of faith necessary to move forward in all that God has created them to be. The three stages as we have defined them are:
1. Discovering my called self,
2. Directing my calling towards ministry and
3. Embodying my ministry calling.
Below, you will find some overarching goals that provide focus in this program. This should also give you a basis for understanding the key elements in the program so that if you choose, you can use alternate materials that you purchase or create.
Your goal in the nine weeks of gatherings
Basically, you will be working to develop three aspects of awareness in the life of the participants. These areas overlap in the gatherings.
Stage 1 - “ Discovering my called self”
- Learn what the Bible has to say about ministry.
- Learn about a life of discipleship and discovering your life purpose
- Share one’s call with others and hear affirmation back from the leadership team, from others within the group, and from a congregation.
- Take a personality profile and a spiritual gifts inventory.
- Utilize resources that can help in the discovery of one’s unique gifts for ministry.
- Use the provided summary and worksheet from the book My Story, His Story and Our Story to share one’s own story.
Stage 2 - “Directing my calling towards ministry”
- Shadow a minister for one day.
- Discuss the lifestyle of ministry; learn to be aware of boundaries in ministry.
- Hear from experienced ministers.
Stage 3 - “Embodying my ministry calling”
- Hear about a wide range of ministry options, including ministry opportunities in one’s congregation, mission boards, seminary training opportunities, service options, etc.
- Articulate to the group where each senses God is leading.
- Achieve adequate clarity and experience to name one’s calling, either to ministry or elsewhere.