January 2015 Planning Update
- Thanks to the generous support of 460 alumni, donors, and foundations, EMU exceeded its goal of $7 million for lab renovations a full year earlier than planned! Total gifts and commitments as of December 31, 2013 equal $7,581,811!
- With $7 million now in place to address the east wing/lab renovations, we turn our attention to several additional urgent needs in the west wing, including the iconic S-106 lecture hall, classrooms, and HVAC and sprinkler systems. Of the additional estimated $3.3 million needed to fund the complete transformation of the entire Suter Science Center, over $1,016,000 is already in place.
Phase I estimated renovation timeline
- December 2014: Construction of S-104 completed; south and east classrooms construction complete.
- January 2015: North labs renovations begin for completion by August 2015.
Phase II funding and renovation plan
- August 2014 – June 2016: Intensive fundraising campaign proceeds to raise additional $3.3 million to complete renovation of Suter Science Center.
- July 2016 – August 2017: Renovation of Suter Science Center west wing proceeds and is completed prior to EMU’s Centennial (2017-18).
EMU established a design concept committee responsible for creating a design concept that maximizes the educational value of the Suter Science Center within the confines of the available budget.