Office Phone: (540) 432-4224
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: LA 021
Joan Griffing in the news:
Dr. Joan Griffing is Professor of Music and Chair of the Music Department at Eastern Mennonite University where she teaches violin and viola, coaches chamber music and conducts the EMU orchestra. She is also concertmaster of the Shenandoah Symphony Orchestra, a member of the Virginia Symphony, and violinist with the Eastern Music Festival in Greensboro, North Carolina. In the spring of 1999, she premiered a Violin Concerto written for her by Terry Vosbein, composer-in-residence at Washington and Lee University. She earned her Bachelor and Master of Music degrees from Indiana University where she studied with Tadeusz Wronski, and her Doctor of Musical Arts in violin performance from The Ohio State University Dr. Griffing has performed as concertmaster with the AIMS Festival Orchestra in Austria and Italy as well as with the Coronado, Grand Teton, Norfolk and Spoleto Festivals in this country. Recent international appearances include a tour of Taiwan in 2004 with the Atlanta Pops Orchestra, a series of recitals and master classes in May of 2006 in the State of Sao Paulo, Brazil, a lecture recital in Adelaide, Australia at the International Viola Congress in June of 2007, and a set of recitals and master classes in the northeastern part of Brazil in August of 2007 and November of 2008. She is a founding member and tours regularly with the chamber music group Musica Harmonia, formed to promote peace and cultural understanding through musical collaboration.
B.M., M.M., Indiana University
D.M.A., The Ohio State University
see performances below
- Shenandoah Valley Bach Festival, concertmaster, chamber musician, soloist,
world premier by Musica Harmonia of work by Gwyneth Walker, based on writings of Leymah Gbowee, June 2013.
• International Arts Festival, Rite of Spring, Norfolk, VA, May 29
• Virginia Consort, first violinist, May 11
• Adjudicator, ASTA CAPS, McLean, VA. May 4
• EMU Orchestra, conductor, April 4
• USS Orchestra, concertmaster, Lexington , VA, March 30
• Organized concert and master classes by guest artists in the Allegheny Trio, March 25
• Virginia Symphony, violinist, Norfolk, Newport News, VA Beach, March 15-17
• Virginia Consort, violinist, Charlottesville, March 10
• Concert with soprano Kellen Duque, Grace Covenant Church, Harrisonburg, March 3
• Virginia Symphony, violinist, Norfolk, VA Beach, February 15-17
• Messiah, violin soloist, PVMC, Jan. 6
• Visiting Staff, Music Department and National Center for Peace and Conflict Studies. University of Otago, Dunedin, NZ, August-November 2012
- Eastern Music Festival, violin faculty member and first violinist in Eastern Philharmonic Orchestra, select concerts broadcast on NPR’s Performance Today, June-July.
- Messiah performance, solo violin, Park View Mennonite Church, January 6, 2012
- Youth Orchestra concert: two of my high school students performed violin concertos with the orchestra, March 25
- Pleasant Valley Church of the Brethren, solo violinist, June 2
• Shenandoah Valley Bach Festival, ex-officio board member, Orchestra Personnel Manager, current
• Shenandoah Valley Children’s Choir, board member, current
• Eastern Music Festival, Orchestra Committee member, elected, current
Awarded sabbatical to New Zealand, fall, 2012.
Received private funding for specific music department programs and scholarships, Bach Festival, and EMU Preparatory City School Music Program.
Live performances from Virginia Symphony and Eastern Music Festival seasons selected for airing on NPR’s Performance Today.
Eastern Music Festival: 6 CD set of EMF’s 50th anniversary season, released June 2012
Preparatory violin student: Finalist for the 2013 Staunton Thursday Morning Music Club Scholarship Competition, May 2013
Two Preparatory violin students performed in the Bach Festival’s Young Artist’s Honors recital, May 5, 2013.
Two Preparatory violin students performed concertos with the Shenandoah Valley Youth Orchestra, March 25, 2013
Preparatory violin student placed 21st out of 108 violinists in the All State auditions, Feb. 23
American Federation of Musicians
American String Teacher Association
International Association of Women in Music
Music Department Chair
Undergraduate Council member
Music Scholarship Committee Chair
Shenandoah Valley Bach Festival Ex-Officio Board member
Shenandoah Valley Children’s Choir Board member