Office Phone: (540) 432-4164
Main Campus, Harrisonburg
Office Location: CC 343
Carol Snell-Feikema teaches Spanish language and composition courses, Immigration Issues and Community-Learning, Latin American Civilization and Spanish Civilization. She and her husband Michael will lead the Fall 2013 EMU Cross-Cultural semester in Spain and Morocco. A native of Iowa, she has lived, studied and traveled extensively throughout Mexico and Central America.
She received her Master’s Degree in Spanish from Minnesota State University, Mankato in 2004. Her thesis, “The Process of Concientización in Isabel Allende’s De amor y de sombra,” studies the process of spiritual awakening and critical consciousness in the context of the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile. She studied Globalization and Liberation Theology at Departamento Ecuménico de Investigaciones in San Jose, Costa Rica with professors, human rights workers and missioners from throughout Latin America.
Prior to coming to EMU, she taught Spanish and Service-Learning at South Dakota State University, leading university study abroad experiences to Guatemala, Mexico, Spain and the US-Mexico border at Nogales. Student service-learning projects included running a day-camp for children from the shanty towns in Nogales, Mexico, giving direct emergency aid in response to Tropical Storm Agatha in Guatemala, teaching English to Spanish-speaking immigrants working at dairies in South Dakota and tutoring Spanish-speaking school children.
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Master of Science Degree in Spanish
Departamento Ecuménico de Investigaciones, San José, Costa Rica
Research and Social Seminars on Globalization: Latin American and
Theological Perspectives. Diploma: Formación Socio-Teológica y Pastoral
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
Education Major (30 additional credits) with Endorsements: K-9 Social
Bachelor of General Studies in Pre-medicine and Anthropology.
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico City, Mexico
Coursework in Spanish and Latin American Studies at School for Foreign Students.
- “The Human Face of Globalization: Service-Learning in Spanish.” Midwest Consortium for Service-Learning in Higher Education Conference 2008, South Dakota State University.
- “The Conscientizing Impact of Direct Experience: Service-Learning in Spanish,” Midwest Consortium for Service-Learning in Higher Education Conference 2009, University of Nebraska at Omaha.
- “Experiences in Service-Learning,” Student Success Emporium, South Dakota State University, Fall 2010 Faculty Development Conference.
- “Food, Agriculture and Society: Reflections on Service-Learning in Spanish and Guatemala Service-Learning Study Abroad,” Honors Colloquium, 10/10.
- “Service-Learning in Spanish: SPAN 492 and Study Abroad Guatemala and US-Mexico Border,” Faculty Development Series workshop on Service-Learning, 11/10, and SDSU Service-Learning Training Workshop, 7/ 09.
- “Getting Students to Use the Target Language: Strategies,” South Dakota World Languages Association 2004 Annual Conference, Rapid City, SD.
- SDSU Festival of Cultures 2009: Guest Artist. Performed original, Spanish-language and peace songs (vocal and guitar).
- Friends of Haiti Benefit Concert 2010 and 2011: Key Organizer and performer (vocal and guitar). Brookings, SD.
- Brookings Open Mic: Guest Artist. Performed original, Spanish-language and peace and justice songs (vocal, guitar and piano).
- SDSU Modern Languages Awards Reception: Guest Artist, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- SD World Languages Association Awards Reception: Guest Artist.
- Variety Night at Cottonwood 2010: Guest Artist. Performed original, Spanish-language and peace songs (vocal and guitar).
- Work for Comprehensive Immigration Reform: Harrisonburg Immigration Rally, April 10, 2013; Public Prayer Vigil for Immigration Reform, Day of Prayer and Faxing, May 19, 2013.
- Nexus Sunday School Presentation: “Experiences in Latin America: A Christian Perspective.” Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Virginia, March 11, 2012.
- Sermon: “God Chose What is Weak in the World.” Brookings United Church of Christ, Brookings, South Dakota, June 5, 2011.
- Church music: Accompany congregational singing (piano and guitar) and provide special music (piano, guitar and vocal). Brookings United Church of Christ, Brookings, South Dakota.
- Eulogy: “Overcoming Life’s Difficulties with Love (and Music),” Bethel Lutheran Brethren Church, Joice, Iowa, November 13, 2010.
- Eulogy: “To Sing My Soul in Awesome Wonder,” United Methodist Church, Plymouth, Iowa, August 16, 2010.
- Eulogy: “Life is Sacred; Life is Good,” Bethel Lutheran Brethren Church, Joice, Iowa, April 7, 2007.
- Outstanding Thesis of the College of Arts and Humanities 2004, Minnesota State University, Mankato and a finalist for the MAGS awards. Thesis, “The Process of Concientización in Isabel Allende’s De amor y de sombra.”
- SDSU Faculty Service-Learning Award, 2008.
- Spanish Club Teacher of the Year Award, 2007.
- SDSU Mini-grants for Service-Learning in Spanish (awarded 6 times).
- Alpha Mu Gamma, National Collegiate Foreign Language Honor Society
- South Dakota World Languages Association (2004-2010).
- Kairos Place, EMU Faculty Writers’ Workshop, May 14-25, 2012.
- Mennonite/s Writing VI: Solos and Harmonies, EMU, March 29- April 1, 2012.
- Interpreting for Social Justice, Wayside Center, Faber, VA, March 23-25, 2012.
- Workshop on Immigration Law, Andrew Bodden (Mennonite Central Committee), February 4, 2012.
- Listening Project Workshop on 287g in Rockingham County, 9 hour training at Sims Center, Harrisonburg, VA, January 28, 2012.
- Midwest Consortium for Service-Learning in Higher Education Conference 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.
- SD World Languages Conference 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009.
- “Deepening Critical Reflection and Civic Engagement” with Dr. Patty Clayton. Service-Learning Workshop, Omaha, Nebraska, 4/30-5/1/2009.
- Spanish Civilization and Culture
- Latin American Civilization and Culture
- Immigration Issues
- Advanced Grammar and Composition
- Service-Learning in Spanish (2008, SDSU)
- Leader EMU Cross-Cultural Semester in Spain and Morocco Fall 2013.
- Academic advisor for Spanish majors, 2011-13.
- Spanish Curriculum Committee; re-design Spanish curriculum with colleagues.
- Noche Bohemia Spanish Program; organize student presentations of Spanish-language music, literature, drama and dance; song-leader; singer-musician.
- Spanish Film Series organizer, discussion leader with Spanish faculty.
- Member QEP Implementation Team; planning Carnival de Resistance, sustainability projects, etc. 2012-2014.
- Member of Department Chapel Committee. Provide music and testimonial for chapel.
- Provide music for departmental events (Spanish Program, Dept. Chapel, etc.)
- Classroom observations for Adjunct Faculty.
- Member of Search Committee for Spanish Faculty, 2011-12.
- Host for Mennonite/s Writing VI: Solos and Harmonies Conference, EMU, March 29- April 1, 2012.