Traditional 2nd Degree Program
This four-semester program follows a traditional fall/spring semester schedule. Each applicant’s course record will be reviewed individually.
- A baccalaureate degree
- 2.8 cumulative GPA or higher at time of application
- Anatomy/physiology I and II (both must be taken at the same institution)
- One chemistry course (general, inorganic, organic, or biochemistry)
- One psychology course (developmental psychology across the life span preferred)
- One sociology course (must have an SOC prefix or course code)
- One microbiology course (must include a lab)
- One nutrition course (minimum 2SH)
All prerequisite courses must be passed with a C or higher. Students cannot repeat more than two of the prerequisite courses. A single course may not be repeated more than once.
Prerequisite courses may still be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed prior to beginning the clinical level of the program.
Prerequisite courses taken more than ten (10) years ago will not be accepted.
You must first be admitted to the university before the nursing program will consider your application.
Application process and materials:
Application deadline for fall semester is February 15 for submission of all application materials with final decision of admissions by March 30.
Application deadline for spring semester is June 15 for submission of all application materials with final decision of admissions by July 30.
A completed application includes:
- University application:
a) graduates of EMU should complete the re-admit application
b) graduates of other colleges should complete the transfer application
- Nursing Application
Clinical nursing application
- Official college transcript from all schools attended. Transcript(s) should be mailed to Eastern Mennonite University, Admissions Office, 1200 Park Road, Harrisonburg VA 22802
- A NACES member credential evaluation is required for foreign university transcripts.
TOEFL and international students
For students whose first language is not English, we require a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550 (does not include speaking section) on the written test, 79 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) that includes a speaking section, or a 213 on the computer-based test. Students who take the IELTS must obtain a score of 6.5 or higher. EMU’s Intensive English Program is available helps students with certain TOEFL scores achieve the level of English skill required to succeed in a degree program. Upon successful completion of the IEP, up to 15 credits may be applied to a degree program.
Also, a NACES member credential evaluation is required for all foreign university transcripts. Incoming EMU students often use World Education Services. Learn more by reading our admissions checklist for international students.
Additional EMU requirements for graduation
In addition to clinical nursing courses, second degree students will need to complete the following EMU core curriculum courses:
- Cross-cultural designate courses (may be transferred or satisfied by previous course work) (6 SH)
- An Anabaptist Biblical Perspectives (ABP) course (3 SH)(only offered at EMU)
- A senior seminar course (2 SH)(only offered at EMU)