Accelerated Second Degree Program
This accelerated 15 month program will tentatively begin mid-May of each year through mid-August of the following year. The first and final semesters will be condensed into 9-10 week semesters during the summer months. The second and third semesters will follow a traditional fall/spring semester format. Students in this program may find it difficult to work and may be expected to complete 12 hour and/or weekend clinical rotations.
The tentative schedule for the summer semester of 2014 will be:
- Orientation – May 15
- Classes begin – May 19
- 2014 summer session ends – July 30
- a baccalaureate degree
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Anatomy/physiology I and II
- One chemistry course (inorganic, organic, or biochemistry)
- One psychology course
- One sociology course
- Beginning in spring 2015, microbiology and nutrition will be required
A baccalaureate degree must be completed prior to application to the program.
All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to starting the program.
Application information and materials
Application deadline is January 15 for submission of all application materials, which include a university application, clinical nursing application, and college transcript. Final decision of admissions is made by February 28.
- University application: graduates of EMU | graduates of other colleges
- Clinical nursing level application
- Official college transcript
- A personal interview may be required.
Additional EMU requirements for graduation (for second degree students)
Previous learning is valued and recognized in applicants who have already earned a baccalaureate or higher degree prior to choosing nursing as a career. Based on this, fewer EMU core curriculum courses are required. Requirements include:
- Cross-cultural designate courses (may be transferred) (6 SH)
- An Anabaptist Biblical Perspectives (ABP) course (3 SH)
- A Senior Seminar course (2 SH)
Each applicant’s course record will be reviewed individually.
For more information about the accelerated second degree program, please contact program coordinator Tammy Kiser at .