We Need Distractions

I love distractions. As final tests and papers draw closer, I only love them more. My first year, I played twelve hours of Pokémon in one week to finish a semester. The next year, I played at least that much Skyrim during finals week. At other points I have finished entire non-assigned book series or spent days surfing the internet. This year, I am planning on finishing all three of the Mass Effect games before I graduate.

This might sound like a problem (and it might be), but I like to think that it is a solution. There is only so much studying, tinkering, and revising that can be done before you stop becoming better prepared and only end up overwhelmed. If I spend too much time stressing about a project that I have already done everything for, my project doesn’t get better, I just start feeling like I’m going to throw up.

With this in mind, I want to play the role of your deadbeat friend. If you feel good about your finals, stop studying for them. If you feel good about a final paper, stop proof-reading it.

There is only so much you can do. Pick up a book or a controller, go work out or go hang out. Chances are things are going to work out in the end. You can play just one more level or read one more chapter. You will have time for homework, and you will only be more productive since you took a break.

I realize that people have flunked out because they play too many video games, but I’m also willing to bet that people have had nervous break downs because they never sought out the distractions they needed.

Take the edge off, distract yourself.

-David Yoder, Co-Editor In Chief