Letter to the Editor: Where are the Opposing Voices

It seems that the only voices speaking out about the listening process are those that are in full support of an inclusive hiring policy. But I for one am against a policy change and know that there are others out there who would agree.

Why are we afraid to stand up for the other side of the issue? Is it because we don’t have our own “safe space” on campus? Are we afraid that if we stand up for what we believe is right we will be ridiculed and put down? It is time that we, like our brothers and sisters who are in support of the policy change, make our voices known.

My issue with the whole thing is that homosexuality and the practices that go along with it are not being seen as a sin. Suddenly, it is just “okay” to want to have a committed relationship with a person of the same sex. Is the question of sin even being asked anymore? I could point out all of the verses in the bible that directly state that homosexuality is a sin, but this issue is so much larger than that. Do I want to turn those in homosexual relationships away from the church? No — but do I want them to acknowledge that these relationships are wrong? Of course.

I am afraid that if this policy gets passed, the conversation will stop. Some people will be unhappy with it, but those who have taken a stand for the issue and have come out as the “bigger” voice will have succeeded, and the conversation will end here on campus. But if the policy does not pass, the conversation will continue, full force, because there is such a strong voice for it. I am ashamed that I feel the need to write this letter anonymously, but I fear losing friends and social standing in the eyes of others if I put myself out there. I mean, kudos to those who stood up and started the front for change — it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there!

Those of us who oppose this change have stood aside for too long. We have let the opposing voice get too strong without any challenge. I hesitate to even call them the “opposing” voice, because who are they opposing if we don’t have an equally strong stand against them?

Another question I want to ask is this: What is the reason for the listening process? Are we losing sight of the real issue? Are we getting caught up in the limelight and getting carried away by thoughts of what kind of attention this could bring our school?

We say that we are a school “like no other.” And we can be that school that is like no other by remembering why we are unique in the first place— things like Cross Cultural, our sense of community, our top of the notch programs in nursing and the bio-medicine fields, among others. Let’s all take a second to back up and examine what we are truly trying to get out of this listening process. In an age of great social change, we don’t all have to ride the rising tide of all-inclusiveness. As Gandhi said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Let those who oppose this change come together. I encourage all who oppose to attend a dialogue session and don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe in.

– Anonymous

Weather Vane policy is to not print anonymous material unless the writer faces serious consequences. Our staff has voted that this anonymous letter is within our guidelines.