Letter: 1966 Bible Major’s Alternative Life Path

I was a sincere Bible major 1964- 1966 at Eastern Mennonite College.

I am deeply indebted to many people who have loved me, taught me and inspired me in my long journey out of rigid religion.

I am 68. I hosted a weekly TV program on public access for 20 years in Albuquerque, N.M. The station changed hands in 2012.

The new outfit does not want controversial programs. I refused to castrate my message just to have a TV program.

Largely because of my TV program and hundreds of my published letters for decades in several local papers, I am the most well-known in this largest city of N.M.

1) War Tax Refuser – I have paid no Federal Income Tax for 35 years. I refuse to pay for the U.S. Empire to murder, torture and rob multitudes worldwide.

2) Living Simply Enthusiast – I lived well all of 2013 on $4,882 for my total expenses — rent, food, etc. I have no right to more than I need while millions worldwide have less than they need.

3) Car-Free Person – I have owned no car for 34 years. I have not ridden in a car for 12+ years. Sometimes I ride the bus, but most of the time I walk.

4) Raw Plant Foodist — I stopped eating cooked food on 12/12/98. I eat no meat, no dairy, no junk food, no booze, and no cooked food.

5) Vigorous Daily Exercise — I exercise for one and a half hours every morning, free, in my home. My home is a sunny 9.5’x12’ rented room with six windows in the house of a friend.

6) Openly Gay Man — When I was an EMC Bible major, I did not know I was gay. I did not know that millions of men, past and present, are in love and make love with men. I was 31 when I first had sex with any male.

7) Nudist — I posed naked for hundreds of artists at the University of New Mexico, colleges in Ill., art groups in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, N.M. I am lying naked now, as I write in the brilliant sunshine in our backyard – my small Riviera Beach!

8) Humble Agnostic — It has taken me many years to question deeply. That is very scary for anyone of what- ever label who was as devoutly religious as I was.

I first came to Albuquerque in June, 1970 as a conscientious objecter during the Vietnam War.

Here I completed my two years of non-military community service under the draft.

Years later, I came to realize that for me as a CO to pay Federal Income Tax for war would be more evil than being a soldier myself!

I grew up in a farm in Ill. Since both my beloved parents died in Ill. years ago, Albuquerque is my main home.

– Don Schrader

Schrader invites anyone who wishes to write to him. To reach Schrader, please contact the Weather Vane.

Schrader requested that the Weather Vane print the following letter that he wrote to an Albuquerque newspaper, The Daily Lobo, Nov. 13 of last year.

The Bible contains both poisonous crap and precious wisdom. Tragically, many people swallow both the poisonous crap and the precious wisdom and proclaim it all as the Word of God.

Deuteronomy 7:2 says, “And when the Lord your God gives them over to you, and you defeat them, then you must utterly destroy them; you shall make no covenant with them and show no mercy to them.”

Joshua 10:40 says, ‘So Joshua smote the whole land… He left none remaining but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded.”

Samson was a suicide bomber. He prayed to God to strengthen him to get revenge and to murder his enemies as he killed himself. The building Samson destroyed was full of men and women, and 3,000 more people were on the roof (Judges 1: 25-30).

Samson killed more people that day than were killed on Sept. 11, 2001 at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Have you heard any preacher, rabbi or priest damn Samson’s vengeful mass murder of thousands of people? For more torture and mass murder in the name of God, read the books of Deuteronomy and Numbers in the Bible. Hitler was not the first to commit genocide. Columbus and other European invaders of the Americas were not the first to massacre indigenous people in the name of God.

The Bible states that the Lord God commanded the total genocide of every man, woman and child living in Palestine more than 3,000 years before Hitler. Today this is the U.S. Empire’s nuclear bomb policy toward targeted “enemy” nations.

No wonder many Bible-believers who swallow the Bible’s poison crap as the Word of God can build and finance nuclear weapons and wage war with no conscience, no guilt and no shame.

Those Bible verses state that God commanded mass murder are spiritual poison. Those verse depict vicious cosmic terrorist whom I refuse to worship and whom I would never want to spend eternity with.

Many tribes and nations throughout history believed they were God’s favorites, God’s chosen people. They stupidly used God’s name to justify slaughtering their enemies.

The Bible’s precious wisdom, on the other hand, teaches us to love, forgive and do good to our enemies, to conquer evil with good, to treat all people as we want others to treat us, to apologize and make amends when we wrong others, to live simply and to reject addiction to money and status.

Read the Bible with extreme caution. Spit out its poisonous crap. Take to heart its wisdom and aim to live it. Use compassion for all as the main test to separate its poisonous crap from its precious wisdom.