Hard Questions and No Answers from Time Stands Still

Senior Lauren Wengerd plays a photojournalist struggling with the moral- ity of documenting suffering while healing from injuries from a roadside bomb and navigating a relationship.

Senior Lauren Wengerd plays a photojournalist struggling with the morality of documenting suffering while healing from injuries from a roadside bomb and navigating a relationship.

“Time Stands Still” is intended to mess with your head.

This play tells the story of a photojournalist (Senior Lauren Wengerd) and her foreign correspondent partner (Junior Chris Parks) after returning from an Iraq war zone. Amanda Chandler is directing the play as her senior project.

“I choose ‘Time Stands Still’ because many of the questions raised are the same that college students wrestle with every day,” Chandler said.

“What am I doing and why? Am I making a difference?” said Chandler. “Do I want to even try to make a difference? Can’t I just put down all the social justice baggage and be happy? Just to name a few.”

The production, which ran last Friday and Saturday will also perform this Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m in the Lee Eshleman Studio Theater.

Alexandra Litwiller, First-year, found herself relating to the characters

“It dealt with many of the same issues that lots of people can relate to.” Litwiller said, “Nearly everyone wants to make a difference. But at what cost? When is it too much? Is it really worth it if you’re harming yourself in the process?”

Chandler was precisely aiming for her audience to ask this of themselves. “I hope that people will leave the theater mulling over all the different questions and relating the play somehow to their lives,” Chandler said, “Good theater is about asking hard questions, not answering them.”

Parks said, “‘Time Stands Still’ has left me pondering questions that I continue to journey with as I enter into a broader context outside of EMU, the world.”

-Hailey Holcomb, Opinion Editor

Categories: News