No Shave November, The Cause That Grows on You

Many of us remember the effects of No-Shave November around campus—the number of scruffy faces got considerably greater.

What many people do not know, however, is that the goal of No-Shave November is to raise cancer awareness by embracing our hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free.

The point is to donate the money you usually spend on shaving and grooming for a month to educate about cancer prevention, save lives, and aid those fighting the battle (American Cancer Society No Shave November website).

Along with No-Shave November comes the idea that a beard somehow inadvertently makes you more “manly.” Jacob Shank, Junior, says, “You grow a beard because it’s manly, simple as that. You want to show you are a man and one with nature so you grow a beard.”

Alumnus Kurtis Blosser believes that if you are a man and are able to grow facial hair, you should go all out. He embraces his facial hair. “If you are a guy who doesn’t have facial hair and are granted one wish—you better wish for facial hair.”

Caleb Schlabach, Sophomore, agrees. He says, “the size of your beard reflects how manly you are. I don’t have a beard, so I guess I’m not very manly….all I want for Christmas is a beard.”

So what does this say about the guys who can’t really grow facial hair? Karla Hovde, Senior, says, “I think it’s kind of funny when some guys who shouldn’t grow facial hair try to grow facial hair and have a very low level of success.”

Some of you may be wondering where the ladies come into all of this. Is this a month designated to just men? Girls tend to take advantage of the month and use it as an excuse to boycott shaving.

Diana Gutierrez , Senior, says that “No-Shave November is so funny…I mean I am sure there are a lot of different times of the year that people do the same thing (not shaving), but I like the excuse because guys end up look- ing like mountain men which is always a plus. However, girls should not strive to look like a mountain bear.”

Some tips on how to participate in No-Shave November: grow a beard, foster a mustache, let those legs get all fuzzy, or skip that waxing appointment, ladies!

However, if you are not the type to sport a shaggy look, you can always go to www.noshavenovember.com and donate to the cause.

Fabrice Guerrier, graduate student, thinks that we will see more and more guys shaving off their facial hair around campus as spring approaches.

-Meredith Wilson, Contributing Writer

Categories: Style