Interview With Keyla Baltimore

Last year the women’s basketball team finished the season red hot, winning the ODAC crown and making an appearance in the NCAA national tournament for only the second time in program history. This year, the team has continued its success by fighting its way to the top of the ODAC.

Although the personnel on the team has shifted this year, at least one key piece from last year’s team has continued to give the Royals consistent production. Keyla Baltimore, a senior from Bristow, Va, has picked up where she left off last year, giving the Royals nearly 32 minutes per game despite an ankle injury. In 18 games, Baltimore has averaged seven points per game while pulling down four rebounds and dishing out an average of four and a half assists. Baltimore has also been shooting a sizzling 41.7 percent from behind the arch. Earlier this week she sat down with the Weather Vane for an interview.

Q: What were your goals coming into this 2013-2104 season?

A: I want to be a leader to contribute on both the offensive and defensive sides of the court. I want to have another winning season like last year, and I want to win an ODAC championship and appear in the NCAA tournament again.

Q: Have you met any of the personal goals that you set before the season?

A: Not really, because I suffered an ankle injury that has been hindering my performance on the court.

Q: Last year you were ranked 24th nationally in turnover to assist ratio. Are you ranked again this year?

A: Yes, I am ranked 21st. I am glad that I have improved in that category since last year.

Q: How has the team changed since last year? How have roles changed?

A: [The] team is very different from last year. We lost two important players: Kala Yoders and Rayven Patterson. We don’t have as many athletes like the past, so roles have changed.

Q: Who influenced your free throw routine?

A: (laughs) I made it up in high school and felt that it was the most comfortable for me to constantly make my free throws.

Baltimore and the Royals will play a three game road stretch before returning to EMU to play a home game against rival Bridgewater on Feb. 11.

-Randell Smith, Staff Writer

Categories: Sports