Tattoos

Tattoos could arguably be the most controversial fashion trendsetter. The epidemic of tattoos has taken over the new generation. Some may say getting a tattoo is a bad idea because it is a permanent mark on your body. On the other hand, some say getting a tattoo represents a work of art, or has symbolic meaning to that person’s life. This topic can be defending from both points of view, but the basic fact is the popularity of tattoos has sky rocketed.

The permanent beauty mark was thought to only be for the “bad guys”and bikers. Now you find tattoos on teens, middle age, old, celebrities, sports figures, and anyone else you can think of. Some Individuals across campus have a positive opinion about tattoos.

Marcel Crump, Sophomore, said, “I have 14 tattoos; I was 18 when I got my first tattoo. I got a cross with my mom’s name in the middle with her birthdate . . . I remember it being very painful, but the tattoo meant a lot to me. Afterwards I got another tattoo the next day. Tattoos are instantly addictive once you know how the first one feels.”

First-year Kwaveon McDonald agreed. “I love tattoos. I recently just got my first two tattoos within my first semester of college. Once I got my first tattoo I was eager to get another one. The rumor is true: once you get one tattoo you are asking for another one immediately. I am happy how they turned out.”

Shockingly, even individuals who do not have any tattoos agreed that they are a great way of expressing one’s feelings.

Natalia Derstine, Junior, commented, “I do not have a tattoo, but tattoos are cool for others. Sleeve tattoos are attractive on other guys. For myself I constantly need change, so I don’t think getting a tattoo is good. Plus, I think about the permanence of a tattoo and I do not like idea of being old with a wrinkly tattoo. But if I really wanted a tattoo I would get it, but it would have to be somewhere it could be hidden.”

Senior Marla zumFelde added, “I do not have a tattoo, but I think tattoos are good expressions for others. I would not get a tattoo because I feel like God gave me this body, so I do not want to change it.”

When looking at this topic at a greater scale of people, it seems that more individuals are accepting those with tattoos. A negative stereotype used to be placed on those who had tattoos. These stereotypes can follow a person everywhere, even to the work place. Employers have a negative perception of tattooed individuals who apply for jobs. As long as tattoos are placed in certain areas of the body that are not easily visible or can be covered by an item of clothing, the numbers of people with tattoos will steadily increase. Tattoos that can be hidden from the naked eye create that common ground for them to be accepted by those who are normally against them.

-Ryan Yates, Contributing Writer