Bane and Chappell-Dick Break Track and Field Records

Two women on the track and field team have managed to claim new records this past weekend at the Liberty invitational. Alyssa Bane snatched the record for the hammer throw that has been held by Becky Hoover since 2006 when she heaved it 126’1”, a whole 7’5” further than the previous record. Hannah Chappell-Dick beat her own record in the 800m with a time of 2:17.47.

Bane’s experience in throwing the hammer began only last year. She says that she “picked up a lot of experience from last year by competing in some tough meets and knowing how to handle the pressure.” With ODAC championships only a week away, Bane set her new goal “to place at ODACs and get points for [her] team in the hammer and discus events.” To prepare for next year, she plans to work on her spins to get “better, faster, and stronger.”

Chappell-Dick noted that she had had a bumpy first year since “the level of training and competition is much higher than in high school, and along with that comes both personal records and injuries.” Chappell-Dick explained that once the season ends, she is getting surgery on a unicameral bone cyst. Because of this injury, she has been doing most of her training on the soft turf and working with Coach Lewkowicz to explore “where the line is between ‘everything I can give’ and ‘more than my body can handle.’”

Even while Chappell-Dick was in a boot in March, they attempted to salvage the season. “Now, we still have our eyes up towards Nationals in May,” she explains, “it is [Coach Lewkowicz’s] belief in my ability to do it that keeps me believing even when I’m struggling through a workout that was easy for me before my injury.” After her surgery, she will be resting for an entire month before getting to work out on a stationary bike for two months. After that, she will build her mileage back up in an attempt to be back to train for ODACs with the cross-country team.

In addition to Bane and Chappel-Dick, the team has much depth in other events as well. Lanae Kreider has gained big PRs in the mile, 5K, and 6K. She says, “I can tell that I am in the best shape of my life, and enjoy all the challenges that running presents, whether it be physical or mental tiredness.” Other top competitors include Senior Aaron Sloan, who has been scoring points for the Royals in the javelin, and Rich McBride, a newcomer who anchored the second-place 4x100m relay team last weekend.

The team competes next at the ODAC championships April 19 and 20 in Lexington, VA.

-Bethany Hench, Sports Editor

Categories: Sports